The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), headquartered in Center City Philadelphia, is the sixth largest transportation system in the United States, with a vast network of fixed route services including bus, subway/elevated, trackless trolley, light rail, and commuter rail serving a 2,200 square mile service region.
We are currently seeking a Senior Project Engineer Civil/Structural (B&B - Transit Facilities) in the B&B/Bridges & Buildings department with a starting salary of $108,160.00.
The Senior Project Engineer/Architect must have an extensive background and knowledge of broad areas of engineering and construction principles and practices, and be familiar with business practices.
This position manages aspects of various projects as assigned by the Project Manager, to ensure that project planning, design, implementation and completion meet the requirements and needs of SEPTA, and the requirements of all the agencies, governments, special interest groups, and the general public to which SEPTA is responsible. The Senior Project Engineer/Architect plans, develops, coordinates and directs an element of a large/complex project or a number of smaller projects.
The Senior Project Engineer/Architect must come in contact with people at higher organizational levels, both within SEPTA and outside the Authority. His/Her contacts include Department Managers within SEPTA, as well as consultant and contractor firm Assistant Vice Presidents, Federal, State, City and local government officials. The individual must possess the ability to communicate effectively in an executive, non-technical environment.
- Consults with Project Manager in project definition (scope and objectives) and determination of project and/or program feasibility on a daily basis.
- Prepares budgets, schedules, program and force account plans for proposed projects.
- Coordinates design concepts and reviews with Operations departments.
- May represent the Authority with special interest groups and/or local communities, and present designs at public meetings.
- Assists Project Manager during the procurement and/or construction stage of a project. This includes project management, construction management, and coordination with governmental agencies and SEPTA’s Operating departments.
- Assists Project Manager in project management tasks and direct Project Engineers/Architects.
- Responsible for managing projects, determination of resources, and maintaining budget and schedules.
- Supervises, coordinates, and reviews the work of a small team of engineers and construction inspectors, estimates manpower needs, and schedules, and assigns work to meet schedule.
- Consults with supervisors concerning unusual problems, developments, contractual and policy matters.
- Responsible for training Project Engineers/Architects in the duties of project management and for training Senior Construction Inspectors and Senior Field Engineers in the duties of project supervision.
- He/She must make decisions independently with regard to engineering problems and construction methods.
- Complies with all Authority and departmental safety and security policies and procedures as well as all applicable job safety responsibilities.
- Reports any safety concerns, compromises or hazards affecting operations, the public, self and/or other employees.
- Responsible for personal safety
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil, or Structural Engineering, OR Bachelor of Architecture and seven (7) years of engineering experience, or an equivalent combination of engineering and project management or related experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a professional manner while working with all levels of personnel including outside agency personnel required.
- Must possess an understanding of construction project management techniques.
- Working PC knowledge in word processing, spreadsheets, ebuilder or similar and project management software required.
- Medical Benefits – “Minimal annual premium contribution”
The following benefit plans have “No Employee annual premium contribution”:
- Prescription Benefits Program Dental Benefits Vision Benefits
Additional benefits we offer:
- Pension Plan / Retirement Savings Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Voluntary Governmental 457B Deferred Comp Plan
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- SEPTA Transportation Pass – FREE travel on all SEPTA modes of transportation
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, SEPTA is a qualified employer
Please apply at: https://jobs.septa.org/job/Philadelphia-Senior-Project-Engineer-CivilStructural-%28B&B-Transit-Facilities%29-PA-19107/733837800/
SEPTA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.