The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), headquartered in Center City Philadelphia, is the sixth largest transportation system in the United States, with a vast network of fixed route services including bus, subway/elevated, trackless trolley, light rail, and commuter rail serving a 2,200 square mile service region.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Project Engineer (Ops Supp) (1015) - Bridges & Buildings in the B&B/Bridges & Buildings with a starting salary of $97,864.00 and an additional $5,000 salary increase for having a PE License.
The Project Engineer will be responsible for undertaking engineering assignments of significant complexity in size and scope. This position is also responsible to provide technical support and direction for engineering activities including the definition and coordination for design review and implementation, establishing standards and inspection plans, program/project development and consulting, project scheduling and cost estimating, and continuous improvement approaches to ensure activities are consistent with SEPTA mission values and goals.
Responsible for providing field engineering to support Maintenance Managers and hourly workforce. This may include research and development of solutions for emerging maintenance issues. In addition to in-house structure design projects (Building & Bridges), act as a Project Manager for third party contracts for design, construction, or other technical services. Requires excellent project and time management skills to meeting various demands successfully.
- Consults with senior level engineer/supervision in project definition.
- Exercises proper judgment in application of moderately complex engineering and quality assurance principles.
- Assists in preparation of budgets for proposed projects and work to be accomplished through third party.
- Generates written memoranda, technical reports, specifications, audits, presentations, etc. in a professional effective manner.
- Generates equipment specifications for procurement purposes in sufficient detail to ensure contractor/vendor interpretation.
- Adapts to team efforts where indicated in resolution of matters not suitable for singular contribution. Interfaces with Governmental Agencies and, as necessary, other transit Authorities concerning pertinent matter.
- The Project Engineer may have on call responsibilities as their expertise is needed for projects that occur outside of normal business core hours.
- Complies with all Authority and departmental safety and security policies and procedures as well as all applicable job safety responsibilities.
- Reports any safety concerns, compromises or hazards affecting operations, the public, self and/or other employees. Responsible for personal safety and is encouraged to promote the safety of others.
I. Program Management:
- Assists in the preparation of Force Account Plans and schedules, Requests for Proposals, and budgets for proposed projects by estimating contractor and force account labor, and consultant materials and/or choices of materials.
- Document for record all major design concepts, approaches and agreements made with any and all parties involved in the project.
- Furnishes Senior Project Engineer with periodic reports as required of progress of the work and of Contractor’s compliance with the progress schedule and schedule of Shop Drawings and submittals.
- Monitors consultant’s performance and participate in design review process by coordinating in-house design review tasks.
- Conducts job progress meetings and coordinates project support functions.
II. Quality Assurance Disciplines:
- Monitors the overall effectiveness of vehicles and material quality activities.
- Applies findings to the improvement of quality, productivity, safety, and service reliability.
- Develops and implements improved quality assurance procedures related to vehicle overhaul and material vendor compliance to SEPTA specifications/requirements.
- Evaluates repair supply compliance with Authority specifications recommending corrections as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains effective liaison with vehicle shops and material users throughout SEPTA. Such liaison shall provide for customer feedback and integration of such data into quality assurance inspection activities.
- Define, implement, and document new or more effective quality assurance procedures for assigned shops, material suppliers or fleets of vehicles. Interfaces with all levels of SEPTA personnel and outside vendors/contractors to identify procedures, equipment, and processes which need revision and develops action plans for quality assurance improvements in these areas.
- Performs as auditor for in plant audits of overhaul shops and suppliers of material and vehicles to assure compliance to SEPTA requirements.
- Participates in compiling and summarizing audit findings and recommendations for presentation to responsible manager.
- Participates in periodic review of drawings and specifications.
- Assures paper interpretation of material or service specification requirements for rebuild and/or overhaul performance.
- Provides basic statistical process control (SPC) support for Quality Assurance and other SEPTA divisions as required.
- Summarizes and presents statistical data on vehicles, material, and operating characteristics throughout SEPTA to enhance delivery of SEPTA service.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- B. S. Degree in Civil Engineering and five (5) years of satisfactory progressive relevant work performance that indicates that the individual can perform the technical and supervisory responsibilities of the position required. (Relevant experience is in Structural Design)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills required.
- Proficiency in MS Office, AutoCAD, and relevant discipline-specific applications as required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Medical Benefits – “Minimal annual premium contribution”
The following benefit plans have “No Employee annual premium contribution”:
- Prescription Benefits Program
- Dental Benefits
- Vision Benefits
Additional benefits we offer:
- Pension Plan / Retirement Savings Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Voluntary Governmental 457B Deferred Comp Plan
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- SEPTA Transportation Pass – FREE travel on all SEPTA modes of transportation
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, SEPTA is a qualified employer
SEPTA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.