The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), headquartered in Center City Philadelphia, is the sixth largest transportation system in the United States, with a vast network of fixed route services including bus, subway/elevated, trackless trolley, light rail, and commuter rail serving a 2,200 square mile service region.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Project Engineer (Ops Supp) (1015) in the B&B/Bridges & Buildings department with a starting salary of $97,864.00.
The Project Engineer will be responsible for undertaking engineering assignments of significant complexity in size and scope such as the railroad catenary replacement program, railroad and transit substation modernization program, support of the wayside energy storage program and other sustainability efforts, and electric bus implementation. This position is also responsible to provide technical support and direction for engineering activities including the definition and coordination for design review and implementation, establishing standards and inspection plans, program/project development and consulting, project scheduling and cost estimating, and continuous improvement approaches to ensure activities are consistent with SEPTA mission values and goals.
- Consults with senior level engineer/supervision in project definition.
- Exercises proper judgment in application of moderately complex engineering and quality assurance principles.
- Assists in preparation of budgets for proposed projects and work to be accomplished through third party.
- Generates written memoranda, technical reports, specifications, audits, presentations, etc. in a professional effective manner.
- Generates equipment specifications for procurement purposes in sufficient detail to ensure contractor/vendor interpretation.
- Adapts to team efforts where indicated in resolution of matters not suitable for singular contribution.
- Interfaces with Governmental Agencies and, as necessary, other transit Authorities concerning pertinent matter.
- Complies with all Authority and departmental safety and security policies and procedures as well as all applicable job safety responsibilities.
- Reports any safety concerns, compromises or hazards affecting operations, the public, self and/or other employees. Responsible for personal safety and is encouraged to promote the safety of others.
- Assists in the preparation of Force Account Plans and schedules. Requests for Proposals, and budgets for proposed projects by estimating contractor and force account labor, and consultant materials and/or choices of materials.
- Document for record all major design concepts, approaches and agreements made with any and all parties involved in the project.
- Furnishes Senior Project Engineer with periodic reports as required of progress of the work and of Contractor’s compliance with the process schedule and schedule of Shop Drawings and submittals.
- Monitors consultant’s performance and participate in design review process by coordinating in-house design review tasks.
- Monitors, oversees, and coordinates construction activities ensuring the minimal impact on SEPTA passengers and service.
- Conducts job progress meetings and coordinates project support functions.
ADDITIONAL / DISCIPLINE RESPONSIBILITIES
Facilities, Engineering & Construction Disciplines:
- Responsibility for Engineering (Architectural) design and analysis in assigned field (i.e., CE, ME, EE, Structural, Track).
- Responsibilities shall include conceptual, preliminary, final design, and costing of projects as directed by senior level supervision/management.
- Generates and coordinates design plans, specifications, and construction procedures relative to any given project/program.
- Formulates suitable design parameters, characteristics, and requirements as they may relate to an assigned task and execute where so directed.
- Initiates, upgrades, and implements design standards to be employed in assigned specialty area.
- Develops competency in field related investigations, tests, and troubleshooting, including use of available diagnostic devices.
- Provides field engineering support to Maintenance Managers and hourly workforce.
- Analyzes inspection and maintenance requirements and develops programs to improve performance, reliability, and regulatory/code compliance.
- Acts as Project Manager for third party contracts for design, construction, or other technical services.
- Monitors Contractor performance to assure conformance to contract specifications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- B. S. Degree in Engineering and five (5) years of satisfactory progressive relevant work performance that indicates that the individual can perform the technical and supervisory responsibilities of the position required.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills required.
- Proficiency in MS Office, AutoCAD or similar, and relevant discipline-specific applications as required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Medical Benefits – “Minimal annual premium contribution”
The following benefit plans have “No Employee annual premium contribution”:
- Prescription Benefits Program
- Dental Benefits
- Vision Benefits
Additional benefits we offer:
- Pension Plan / Retirement Savings Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Voluntary Governmental 457B Deferred Comp Plan
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- SEPTA Transportation Pass – FREE travel on all SEPTA modes of transportation
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, SEPTA is a qualified employer
SEPTA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.