$155,610.87 - $194,512.80 Annually
The ideal candidate will have a strong background managing the planning, design, and construction of water/wastewater facilities. Preferable experience will be in planning, design and environmental compliance.
We also welcome veterans and transitioning military. Consider joining a team of hardworking employees who work to protect and preserve water, one of our most valuable natural resources. The experience you've gained during your service can continue to positively impact the world with a career at Otay.
The ideal candidate should also possess the following Personal Characteristics, Skill, and Experience: Professional and Highly Competent – Business, Customer and Results Oriented – An Experienced Manager – Critical/Strategic Thinker – Able to Consistently and Accurately Interpret Policies, Procedures, and Ordinances – Analytical – Possess Excellent Oral and Written Communication Skills – Honest and Ethical – Know and Understand Basic Business Finance and Accounting Principles – A Visionary and Leader – Well Organized – Flexible and Adaptable – A Team Player – Able to Work with Diverse Groups including the Public.
The Otay Water District offers excellent benefits, a balanced work/life environment and is a leader in the industry.
About the Position and Department
Under the general direction of the Chief of Engineering, plans, organizes, supervises, directs, manages, and coordinates programs and activities of staff and of several Sections of the Engineering Department which includes Water Resources, Planning, Design, and Environmental; and provides complex technical and administrative support to the Chief of Engineering.
The Engineering Department is responsible for the Planning, Budgeting, Design, Construction, and Inspection of all Otay Water District facilities as well as the administration of all developer and new customer construction and service applications. Projects include facilities for water, recycled water, sewer and support facilities, such as pipelines, reservoirs, pump stations, wells, ponds, and a treatment plant. The Engineering Department also manages an annual Capital Improvement Program (CIP) of approximately $15.3 million (2024). The Department has a staff of approximately 29 employees supplemented by the services of consultants.
Applications will be accepted until there are a sufficient number of highly qualified applicants from which to make a selection. However, for the earliest consideration, please submit your application materials by September 13, 2023. Interviews will be scheduled as soon as possible with top candidates. For information on the recruitment process, please go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Examples of Duties
- Assumes management responsibilities for assigned services and activities of several section of the Engineering Department that includes, Water Resources, Planning, Design, and Environmental.
- Responds to inquiries and resolves problems and complaints from customers and consultants.
- Administers the design and preparation of major capital projects utilizing consulting engineering firms or in-house staff; prepares costs estimates; reviews drawings and specifications for compliance with District standards; interprets specifications and District policies and initiates or reviews change orders.
- Represents the District in negotiations with consultants on fees and charges associated with design of new facilities; and reviews, evaluates, and reports on work prepared by consultants and administers consultant contracts, including approval of invoices.
- Conducts a variety of organizational studies, investigations, and operational studies.
- Participates on a variety of Boards and Commissions. Attends and participates in professional group meetings.
- Participates in continuous improvement. Develops standards, guidelines, and productivity indicators and documents processes of the like.
- Plans, directs, reviews and evaluates the work of supervisory, professional, technical, and support staff assigned to perform functions of the section. Meets with staff to identify and resolve problems. Assigns work activities, projects, and programs. Monitors workflow. Reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures.
- Participates in the development of and directs and monitors the implementation of section and department goals, objectives and measures to include the District's Strategic Plan and Performance Measures.
- Advises the Department Chief and other senior staff on relevant issues.
- Develops budgetary recommendations and monitors revenues and expenditures for assigned sections and recommends or makes appropriate adjustments.
- Prepares executive level reports, presentations, summaries and correspondence. Participates in Committee and Board meetings.
- Develops, trains, models, and enforces safe work procedures and practices for the sections and Department.
For the complete job description go to the Employment section of our website
www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
- A valid California Driver's License and a safe driving record.
- Professional Civil Engineering registration in any State and a Professional Civil Engineering registration in the State of California within one (1) year of appointment.
Minimum Experience, Education, and Training Requirements
Seven (7) years of experience in planning, design, construction, and construction management for a water, wastewater, and/or reclaimed water facility, including four (4) years of experience managing consultants or two (2) years of related supervisory experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
- Master's degree desirable.
This position will be subject to random drug testing during employment.
This position is exempt from overtime.
Otay Water District is a Smoking, Tobacco and Nicotine Free Campus.
All Otay Water District employees are at-will pursuant to California Water Code, Section 71362.