San Jose, CA (pop. 1 million plus) is conducting a national search for an innovative leader to manage $200 million San Jose International Airport capital improvement program, including construction of a new billion-dollar terminal addition over the next five years, oversight of the Measure T Bond Program Development, and the oversight of the Public Works Department internal Training and Development program. If you are a proactive, innovative, high-energy manager and are looking for a high public service position with high reward career opportunity, you are an ideal candidate to become the next Division Manager for the capital improvement program for the San Jose International Airport.
San Jose is the 10th largest city in the country. The City is known as the “Capital of Silicon Valley” and plays a vital economic and cultural role anchoring the world’s leading region of innovation. San José receives accolades for its vibrant neighborhoods, healthy lifestyle, and multiple attractions. Nineteen (19) public school districts and 300 private and parochial schools provide educational choices. San José’s quality of life is unsurpassed. Surrounded by the Diablo and Santa Cruz Mountain ranges and enjoying an average of 300 days of sunshine a year and residents have easy access to the beaches along the California coast, the mountains of Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada range, and a rich cultural and recreational life.
The ideal Division Manager will be experienced in bringing capital projects from start to finish, will be a fast learner, nimble, diplomatic, and have a demonstrated capability of working with multiple stakeholders. The ideal person will also enjoy working with a multitude of stakeholders as partners in the delivery of airport capital improvements that will return forever-lasting credit to the new Division Director’s capabilities and career.
The Division Manager reports directly to the Deputy Director of Public Works and will manage a growing team of nine (9) skilled engineers, architects, and analysts. The successful candidate will be a registered professional engineer and/or architect. The position is responsible for total project management: from forecasting, planning, engineering, bidding, and construction through to ribbon cuttings. Note: This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional related opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise: Including knowledge and experience related to capital Improvements projects and knowledge and familiarity with Federal Aviation Administration policies related to grants and construction
- Communication Skills and Customer Service
- Management, Teamwork / Interpersonal Skills
- Problem Solving, Political Skills and Conflict Management
- Fiscal Management
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture, or a similar field.
- Experience: Six (6) years of progressively responsible professional experience in managing public infrastructure engineering, capital project delivery, program administration or equivalent, including three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Licenses or Certificates: Positions in this class may require one or more of the following: Must be a Registered Professional Engineer or Architect with a valid CA Driver’s License within three months.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume, and cover letter and responses to the Job Specific Questions listed in the Recruitment Brochure.
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Management experience in an equivalent major division within a City
- Airport, or similar, project management
Compensation and Benefits
The approved salary range is $123,762.00 - $195,903.66 base pay, DOQ/E, including five percent (5%) on-going non-pensionable pay. With this 5% non-pensionable, the actual pay rate is: $129,950.08 - $205,699.00. Remote work two days per week. The City also provides an excellent array of benefits.
Application deadline is October 9, 2023. Candidates apply online at www.GovHRjobs.com with their cover letter and resume and answers to the questions included in the application link and contact information for three work-related references (who will not be contacted without prior notice). Your cover letter should be one to two pages. This response will also be used to evaluate your written communication skills. Please describe how your education and experience makes you the best candidate for this position, please be sure to include any experience in the following areas:
• Managing and delivering capital projects
• Budget planning and monitoring of various programs and projects
• Leading a work unit to achieve a common goal
• Having knowledge and experience related to an airport capital improvement program or similar industrial facility
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection, or hiring processes, please contact Ryan Cotton, at 847-380-3240, ext. 114.
Save the possible interview dates: Friday, November 3 (virtual) and Friday, December 1st (in-person)
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa that requires an employee application. EEOC.