The Brompton bike was first designed by Andrew Ritchie in 1975 opposite the Brompton Oratory in South Kensington, hence the name. Since then, production has remained in London, and were now producing over 90,000 bikes a year, and recently just hit a huge milestone and sold our 1 millionth bike!
Brompton is the largest independent UK bicycle manufacturer with a team of over 800 talented people, and were constantly growing. We specialise in designing and manufacturing high-quality folding bicycles for the urban market, and pride ourselves on building a genuinely sustainable and accountable business.
We are on a mission to transform urban living, and because of this are looking for talented and passionate people who want to make a difference.
Brompton's iconic design, renowned and respected worldwide for the past four decades, continues to evolve with the application of cutting-edge engineering techniques, materials, and advanced manufacturing methods. We are dedicated to creating new products that ensure our ongoing success in the years to come.
We are currently seeking an exceptional Senior Structural Engineer join our structural engineering team at Brompton. As part of this team, you will report directly to the Lead Structural Engineer and utilise your expertise in engineering science and simulation tools to deliver exceptional engineering outcomes.
In this role, you will assume responsibility for developing innovative and highly optimised structural components. Additionally, you will provide support to development teams throughout the organisation, assisting them with their respective parts and projects.
Your contributions will extend beyond individual projects as you drive engineering excellence within the company. This will involve developing internal processes, maintaining comprehensive technical documentation (including analysis reports, design guidelines, and best practices specific to bicycle structural analysis), and offering technical guidance to junior team members.
What we are looking for:
- A degree in a relevant engineering discipline and ideally a minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar position.
- Excellent engineering science fundamentals; stress-strain, fatigue-life estimation.
- Good understanding of material characteristics of metallics, composites and engineering plastics.
- Experience in the use of FEA; being able to perform linear and non-linear structural analysis. This includes model creation, running/debugging and result interpretation.
- Experience in correlating FEA results with lab tests data.
- The ability to interpret FE results and produce concise, high-quality technical reports.
- Familiarity with the Altair HyperWorks tools (HyperMesh, HyperView, OptiStruct, RADIOSS).
- The ability to perform hand-calculations to support component sizing and backup FE results.
- Experience of developing around and optimising for manufacturing techniques:
-Welding and brazing
You might not tick all the boxes, and thats okay, we still encourage you to apply. Here at Brompton we are always looking for people that share the same values and attitudes as we do, as we continue to build diverse teams and a sense of community which is made stronger by each new individual who joins.
Benefits at Brompton :
Brompton offers you an excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along, communicate and co-operate well with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment, Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle Ltd; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and the product, despite any differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Flexible working Hybrid working, flexible hours and a 9 day fortnight (i.e. every second Friday off).
- Annual Leave 25days annual leave, plus all UK bank holidays.
- Competitive Salary Plus workplace pension scheme and profit share bonus.
- Brompton Discount- Get ready to bike in style, as all employees receive up to 60% off their very own bike and accessories, plus there are discounts for your friends and family too.
- Social activities -Throughout the year enjoy time with your colleagues as we host an annual Summer and Christmas party, annual bike rides (both inside and outside the UK), Birthday breakfast, volunteering activities and family fun days just to name a few.
- Learning and Development- Access to free Linkedin Learning and opportunity to devote some of your time at work to personal development. We value professional development and actively promote internal promotions and opportunities.
- Benefits- Workplace Pension Scheme, Care and Health Support, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme and other benefits.
- Mental Health We provide access to a confidential EAP that offers counselling, resources and support for various mental health challenges. Theres also Head Space, Bromptons approved wellness program for employees.
- Paid Leave We offer an enhanced Family, Paternity and Maternity leave pay.