$68,764.80 - $105,872.00 Annually
Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
645 Iowa Department of Transportation
10/22/2023 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact
James Muetzel - James.Muetzel@iowadot.us
Work Hours: Days, M-F; Flex Available
Travel: Occasional travel (overnight possible) may be required to national conferences, research workshops, and field exams for structural inspections or observation on construction sites.
Our Core Focus:
The Core Focus of the Iowa DOT is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfzUqeUz0A
This position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception.
Contributing to Our Core Focus:
The Transportation Engineer will work in a variety of civil engineering capacities within the Design Unit, including:
- Performs structural analysis and design as a licensed professional engineer of different types of moderately complex to complex highway structures utilizing steel, aluminum, reinforced concrete, prestressed concrete, and wood. Moderately complex to complex highway structures include standard and nonstandard bridges, culverts, retaining walls, sign trusses, other miscellaneous structures, and routine to unique overlay and repair projects.
- Draws or directs technicians in drawing the ideas conceived in the design of the proposed structure.
- Reviews plans for moderately complex to complex highway structures that are submitted by outside sources for approval.
- Makes inspections, analyzes any deficiencies and writes reports containing recommendations and cost estimates on structures that must be repaired or reconstructed to maintain serviceability of the highway system.
- Manages moderately complex to complex projects assigned to ensure the design plan is complete and personnel working on the project are informed.
- Makes suggestions to improve current bridge policy and procedures based on new design and construction specifications.
- Utilizes computer aided drafting, 3D modeling, and BIM in conjunction with technician skills and experience, to produce detailed plans in an efficient and timely manner.
License: Incumbent must possess and maintain a professional engineer license by meeting continuing education requirements and all other professional obligations required by the State of Iowa.
What we offer YOU:
Competitive pay and benefit packing including health, dental, flex spending, and life insurance. https://das.iowa.gov/human-resources/employee-and-retiree-benefits/employees
- Insurance benefits start first of the month following 30 days of employment (e.g. Monthly Insurance Premium for 2023 Iowa Choice*)
- Single: $56/month employee share; $743/mo. State share
- Family: $187/month employee share; $1,687/month State share
- Other insurance options available: Please review HERE (Download PDF reader) (PDF reader)
- Opportunities for professional growth and development, including leadership training.
- Paid time off effective immediately – biweekly vacation, separate sick leave, accruals rollover on a yearly basis, and 9 paid holidays per year.
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) package with employee match
- Optional 401A plan with employer contributions
- Employee Discount Programs through variety of vendors (vision, cellular, fitness, recreation, season passes, travel, counseling, financial)
- Telework accommodations may be possible pending candidate skills and abilities.
Preferred Characteristics of Candidate:
- Analyzes challenges, defines successful solution alternatives, and proactively solves problems.
- Passion and commitment to excellence in our highway structures and bridges.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of management and a wide variety of individuals involved in our development process.
- Motivated, friendly, inclusive, and a get-it-done attitude.
- Embraces and encourages a culture that thrives on innovative ideas and leading changes that result in effective process and project improvements.
- Brings a professional positive attitude to our team every day.
- Ability to utilize CAD (or embrace learning Bentley Connect CAD software) to assist in project plan development and 3D modeling.
Office Culture and Benefits:
- Project schedules are based on 40-hour work weeks.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Teleworking opportunities may be available pending work skills of candidate.
- Continuing education to aid in meeting professional requirements and professional growth.
- Annual pay and cost of living increases are typical.
Excited to pursue the next step in your career? Apply today!
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing any screening, interviewing, pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employment selection process, please direct your inquiries to the following email: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation such as: interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment / devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description. (Download PDF reader)