Principal Civil Engineer - Light Rapid Transit
Apply now Job Description
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
We are seeking a qualified and enthusiastic chartered or Incorporated Civil Engineer to join our unique award winning Light Rapid Transit team in Northern England.
Key elements of the role will include:
- Lead an engineering team undertaking concept and detailed design of a variety of light rapid transit schemes mainly in the UK, but with potential for support to some overseas projects
- Preparation, overview and checking of calculations, designs, studies, specifications, drawings and reports
- Managing and coordinating multi-disciplinary teams; such as highways, structures and systems engineers
- Working and collaborating in a digital 3D environment, considering opportunities for innovation and automation
- Opportunities to develop your engineering leadership skills
The successful candidate will ideally have the following essential and desirable criteria:
- Significant post-graduate experience in engineering design ideally in light rapid transit, but a high degree of competency in highway design will also be considered for an exceptional candidate
- Relevant Engineering degree
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status (e.g. CEng/IEng with ICE)
- Working knowledge of designers responsibilities under CDM; and a desire to eliminate risks and design out hazards
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, allowing you to confidently liaise with other team members and project stakeholders
- Knowledge of managing teams producing BIM and collaborative environments
- Experience of co-ordinating multi-disciplinary engineering teams on complex projects
- Broad experience of both light rail and urban highway design
- Good understanding of Tramway Principles and Guidance (LRSSB)
- Willingness to want to develop both your technical and engineering skills and learn or develop your skills in the complex and challenging discipline of light rapid transit
- Experience of overseeing / managing interfaces and integration on light rapid transit projects
We are actively recruiting a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. We recognise that differences in ability, skills and experience are a strength and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.Job ProfileAbout the business unit
The Buildings and Cities Unit (BNC) has a major presence in Mott MacDonald's regional offices throughout the UK and mainland Europe, providing a wide range of diverse and transferable cross-sector skills across five key Sectors; Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation and Water. We also provide local services to customers and technical leadership to the rest of the Group in these sectors.
We are working with many of the light rail and tramway system owners around the UK to help them provide high-quality affordable solutions, protecting and enhancing the environment, and supporting communities and the economy across the UK.
We are looking for an experienced senior engineer with knowledge of light rail, capable of leading a team of junior and developing engineers in the delivery of some challenging but rewarding light rapid transit projects. As an important part of a rapidly growing team of over 20 staff and a global practice, you will be instrumental in ensuring delivery to time and maintaining the high quality of our engineering services. You will be expected to undertake in line management duties for a small number of developing engineers and support them in their learning. Given the wide ranging nature of our services covering all aspects of light rapid transit engineering and all stages of project development, any engineering background (civil, mechanical, electrical or systems) will be acceptable. We perhaps have a preference for a civil engineer but for the right candidate, this is not essential.
The team works closely with many other discipline teams within Mott MacDonald and especially closely with our dedicated light rail vehicles team, so you will likely have highly developed collaboration skills and experience.
For the Principal Engineer role you will likely have significant experience including some experience in light rail projects. While experience in design or scheme development would be ideal, significant experience in construction will also be considered, if you are able to demonstrate a high level of understanding of the design processes, perhaps through experience in a design and build environment. #LI-AA1How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
Other InformationEquality, diversity and inclusion
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working because life isnt 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how we can assist. Agile working
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust. More about Mott MacDonald
Were a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each persons differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence Back to Search Apply now