Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Apply now Job DescriptionDo you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
About the role
Our Energy Unit provides Civil and Structural expertise across various projects including Transmission, Thermal, Renewable and Nuclear. Due to continued growth, we are looking for a motivated Senior Geotechnical Engineer with demonstrable experience to join our Digital Award-winning Civil and Structural Team based across Glasgow, Belfast and Brighton.
Youll carry out work on Energy projects, fulfilling tasks including:
Candidate SpecificationAbout you
- Ground Investigation contract administration and preparation of scope, specifications, interpretation and verification of ground investigation data and parameters for a ground model to assist in design
- Geotechnical desks studies, preliminary assessments and reviews of existing geotechnical reporting
- Investigation contractor management on site and office, including reviewing of RAMs and monitoring health and safety compliance
- Prepare Geotechnical Interpretative Reports
- Geotechnical analysis, with experience in ground modelling and analysis software
- Working with engineers of other disciplines in a team in order to produce integrated geotechnical assessments into the overall project delivery
- Assessing the geotechnical hazards and risks to projects and communicating appropriate solutions
- Answering technical queries and requests for information and forward to relevant designers
- Support to proposals and production of client tender packages
- Degree in civil or geotechnical engineering (or similar)
- Experience in Energy developments, and ideally in one of the following sectors:
- Transmission and Distribution (T&D) networks
- Energy Generation (Renewables, Hydro and Thermal)
- Working towards or has recently achieved chartered status
- Demonstratable experience in ground investigation site works and managing Geotechnical Investigation contractors on site
- Experience of CDM roles, notably Principal Designer and Principal Contractor duties
- Demonstratable experience in foundation geotechnical design
At the outset we would expect some experience in all named areas but, should your application be successful, you will have the opportunity to learn from other team members in the wider geotechnical skills group and to further develop your skills. Any prospective candidate must display a willingness to engage with new challenges as well as an ability to work confidently on tasks for which they have prior experience. Candidates should be able to demonstrate good written communication skills including report writing. The role will also require good communication and people skills. You will be at times in a client facing role and will be expected to liaise with clients and contractors both on-site and over the phone.
Although the post is Glasgow, Belfast, Altrincham or Brighton based, we regularly work on projects all around the UK and Overseas. A prospective candidate should be prepared to undertake short-term site visits to meet with clients and oversee survey contractors activities.
If you meet 80% or more of what were looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didnt know we need.
#LI-GW1Job ProfileAbout the business unit
The Energy unit delivers services to clients globally across a number of sectors including hydropower, nuclear, waste, renewable generation and transmission & distribution networks. Together we provide integrated engineering and project management services across the project lifecycle from concept and design, to construction and operations, to decommissioning or repowering and life extension. Together with our clients, were helping to deliver the energy transition globally.How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working because life isnt 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
#LI-GW1Other InformationEquality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how we can assist. Agile working
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust. More about Mott MacDonald
Were a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each persons differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence Back to Search Apply now