What you'll be doing?
Supporting the business and our divisional offices, our Head Office functions cover all departments from our Executive Board through to our support functions such as Group Design and Technical, HR, Health and Safety, IT, Sales and Marketing, Commercial, Procurement, Group Finance, Corporate Affairs, as well as Legal and Company Secretariat. We also have a specialised function - Barratt Partnerships.
While the work varies from team to team, our key requirements don't: you must be well organised, extremely helpful and resourceful, and able to use your initiative. You'll understand that what you do is important, and impacts on your team, the department, and the wider business.
Reporting to the Group Multi-Storey Manager, you will fully support in developing, delivering and managing consistent Structural and Civil Engineering processes and procedures across the Group. Overseeing the structural design of multi-storey developments and complex structures, Civil Engineering to schemes, including design of highway and utility infrastructure and groundworks packages.
You will be expected to:
- Develop and deliver Group processes and procedures, scope of services and other guidance documentation and best practice relevant to the role, to allow Operating Divisions to implement and manage.
- Manage the Group Approved Panel of Structural and Civil Engineers (Multi-Storey, 5 stories and more) and Complex Structures process, which will involve periodic meetings and workshops, and monthly reporting.
- Maintain a continuous process of evaluation of external Consultant's performance and design capabilities to ensure that service delivery standards and scheme proposals adhere to best practice to ensure cost optimisation has been achieved.Develop effective processes in line with the Building Safety Act Gateways (1-3) and align with relevant RIBA Stages and the Barratt build stages to ensure applications transition through the Gateways seamlessly.
- Review Consultant reports to enable considered pre-purchase appraisals on development opportunities.
- Provide support and advice on development constraints and 'abnormal' items requiring commercial provisions.
- Establish good working relationships with Divisions and key stakeholders to encourage feedback for inclusion in future schemes to avoid wastage and improve the engineered solutions.
- Comply with responsibilities as defined in the Group's Health, Safety & Environment Policy and ensure compliance with the same throughout the team.
- Implement new ideas and methods and continue to seek ways of both improving contribution to the organisation's goals and enhancing the reputation of the company through positive leadership and culture.
- Conduct site visits and produce site compliance reports.
What you'll need?
To be successful in the role, we are looking for:
- Minimum Associate Membership of an Engineering institute and 5 years post qualification experience preferred or minimum HNC/HND with 10 years post qualification experience.
- Chartered Engineer and full Member of appropriate industry body (i.e. CIBSE, IMechE, MICE, IET, IStructE) with significant practical experience of Structural and Civil Engineering.
- Previous experience in a design related environment, preferably with Structural and Civil Consulting Engineers.
- Demonstrable experience in masterplanning within infrastructure projects.
- A demonstrable track record in residential development and possessing the ability to confidently manage all areas where Consultant Engineers have an input into the development process.
- A good working knowledge of construction methods, materials and legal regulations, guidance and legislation is important.
- Ability to work with various departments to facilitate the orderly execution of a proposed project plan.
- Excellent communicator with ability to influence.
- Focused on results.
- Ability to prioritise tasks to meet changing business needs.
- A competent level of relevant IT skills including using structural design software such as Tekla, Robot and TEDDS with familiarity of coordinating projects using BIM 360, Autodesk Revit and Autocad, Causeway Professional Design Suite (PDS) or Mircodrainage desirable although not essential.
Our Company and Benefits
We've been nationally recognised as a 5 star housebuilder since 2009 for supplying high-quality homes for all generations. That's more than any other major housebuilder. It's because we combine the brightest minds, the latest technology, and a genuine commitment to putting customers first. We want the best people in the industry to help us shape the future of building. We have tailored opportunities for apprentices, graduates, experienced professionals and ex-Armed Forces personnel to come and help us stay one step ahead, and build the homes that Britain needs.
We are building an organisation where anyone with drive and talent can pursue the career they want. We are building a culture where anyone, regardless of gender, race, sexuality, disability, background or any other characteristic, can progress and be proud to work for us.
Barratt adopts a hybrid way of working which assumes that where roles allow, our office-based colleagues divide their time between working in the office, on our construction sites and sales offices, and working from home, as the role dictates. We recognise the many benefits that an effective hybrid working culture brings to both the Company and our colleagues.
As part of working for Barratt Developments PLC and specifically for this role we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Competitive Bonus Scheme
- Private Medical Cover - Single Cover
- Annual Medical Health Assessment
- 26 days' holiday (increase by 1 day for every 3 years' continuous service up to 29 days)
- Choice of Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies