Senior / Principal Structural Engineer
Apply now Job Description
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
As a Senior/Principal Structural Engineer you will help to deliver a range of projects including those in the education, transport, emergency services, industrial and health sectors. Reporting to a Senior Associate (chartered structural engineer) and working as part of the design team you will contribute to the following project inputs;
- Designing building structures using Eurocodes and a range of materials including concrete, steel, masonry, and timber;
- Working with multi-disciplinary teams in the preparation of design solutions;
- Preparation of structural sketches, stage reports and specifications;
- Coordinating the structural design with other disciplines, with the use of BIM tools;
- Representing Mott MacDonald at design team meetings;
- Provide a consultative approach to clients to ensure the best solution is offered to meet their needs;
- Day to day line management of engineers and technicians;
- Preparation of tender documentation;
- Responsible for liaising with external stakeholders, ensuring client satisfaction and pursuing and promoting opportunities with potential and established clients;
- Maximising profitability of projects, monitoring against budget, reacting and anticipating potential problems and communicating in line with client expectations;
- Demonstrating technical expertise, providing in depth knowledge and leadership whilst proactively supporting, coaching and developing team members.
Our Structures Team in the Belfast office work on a wide variety of projects in the Built Environment Sector including the Casement Park Stadium, Royal Victoria Hospital Energy Centre, Ballycastle Shared Education campus, NIFRS Learning Development Centre at Desertcreat and Belfast International Airport Terminal Extension and many others. The Belfast office is 1 of 3 principal offices on the island, and structural engineering resources are shared across the Belfast, Dublin and Cork offices, and other offices in the UK, particularly those in Scotland. The team in Belfast also collaborate with other offices on projects in sectors including Transport, Water, Energy and Advisory.Candidate Specification
This role needs someone who is passionate about their work and who can use their experience as an engineer to deliver solutions that meet our clients requirements and in return we will provide excellent opportunities for career progression.
- BEng or MEng in structural or civil engineering;
- Chartered MIStructE/MICE or equivalent;
- Experience working as a structural design engineer on multi-disciplinary building projects;
- Experience/Familiarity in the use of Eurocodes;
- Experience in the use of structural design software packages;
- Computer literate, MS Word and Excel;
- The ability to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Aware of a range of BIM tools and appreciates the relative advantages/disadvantages;
- A good understanding of contractual issues and risks relating to delivery of projects;
- Ability to communicate and manage project milestones and deal with potential issues that may arise;
- Ability to manage multidisciplinary teams and colleagues working in various locations, including remotely and overseas;
- The ability to line manage, coach and mentor junior members of the team (including Graduate Engineers, Technicians and others)
We are actively recruiting a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. We recognise that differences in ability, skills and experience are a strength and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. Job ProfileAbout the business unit
The Buildings and Cities Unit (BNC) has a major presence in Mott MacDonald's regional offices throughout the UK and mainland Europe, providing a wide range of diverse and transferable cross-sector skills across five key Sectors; Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation and Water. We also provide local services to customers and technical leadership to the rest of the Group in these sectors.How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Did you know that Mott MacDonald is one of the worlds largest employee-owned businesses? This means that we are not accountable to external stakeholders and are in control of our own future. This creates a unique culture where decisions are made for the benefit of the staff/company over the long term.
We are proud to be a one of Glassdoors top 25 employers to work for in the UK in 2023, as well as being recognised by the Financial Times and market and consumer data company Statista as one of the UK's leading and highly recommended management consultants in: Construction & Infrastructure, Energy, Utilities & Environment, Public & Social Sector, Sustainability, and Travel, Transport & Logistics.
We offer some fantastic benefits including:
Other InformationEquality, diversity and inclusion
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working because life isnt 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies for parents and care givers
- Annual bonus scheme
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including ability to buy/sell annual leave entitlement, cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans
- Wellbeing support including access to an independent Employer Assistance Scheme, wellbeing champions and access to learning and support resources
- Access to our Advanced Employee Networks which support our LGBTQ+, gender, race and ethnicity, disability and parents/carers communities
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how we can assist. Agile working
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust. More about Mott MacDonald
Were a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each persons differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence. Back to Search Apply now