We are currently recruiting for a Project Structural Engineer
to support our Glasgow based structures team and assist with the provision of a multi-disciplinary consultancy design service to RPS's contractor, developer and utility clients.
You will design, check & manage all elements of the design of multi-disciplinary Projects. The role will involve carrying out detailed structural analysis and design checks of a variety of structures and may also involve site inspections and supervision of construction including developing close working relationships with contractor clients. Coordinate inter-office/department geotechnical and civil resource. Project manage the design aspects of multiple live projects from concept and tender phase through to detailed design and construction. Represent the team to internal and external clients and assist in winning new work. Why RPS?
We're a connected community, working together to achieve exceptional outcomes. We understand the need to work flexibly, empowering our people to create a work life balance that's right for them. We also understand the importance of collaboration and social connection in the office environment. With agile offices and hybrid working offered as standard, we trust our people to find the right balance to meet client needs - this is a workplace that works for you. RPS, A Tetra Tech company:
Representing an exciting new chapter in our business, on 24 January 2023 RPS became a Tetra Tech company. With 27,000 employees in more than 550 offices in more than 120 countries on seven continents, Tetra Tech is a leading, global provider of consulting and engineering services. As a Tetra Tech company, RPS is proud to offer our people market-leading development and project opportunities, helping to solve some of the world's most complex problems. Qualifications:
Skills Knowledge and Experience:
- BEng, MEng in Civil/Structural Engineering or similar qualification
- Graduate membership with the Institution of Civil Engineers or similar is desirable. Progress towards development objectives is also desirable. (The individual would join RPS' ICE approved training scheme and be in a position to continue targeting the ICE development objectives from the outset)
- Sufficient and appropriate relevant postgraduate experience working within a consulting engineering practice or other equivalent organisational structure
- Demonstrate knowledge of engineering design procedures and construction processes
- Demonstrate a good working knowledge of relevant design software for structural analysis and 3D modelling software
- Experience of structural design with primary structural materials - concrete, steel, timber, masonry
- Working knowledge of BS/EN standards
- Experience of structural condition inspections would be beneficial.
- Ability to work on own initiative and seek assistance when required
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure that timescales are met;
- Good problem solving/contingency planning skills with ability to find quick, innovative and practical solutions
- The ability to communicate in a fluent and positive manner with other team members and to produce reports in clear English
- Ability to identify and highlight inconsistencies in project information and ensure the project team are aware to enable a resolution where to required
- Take responsibility for personal development by drawing on the experience and feedback of colleagues
- Project a professional image to clients and colleagues
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to form strong positive working relationships with colleagues and clients
- Able to recognise own impact on others and adapt approach where appropriate
- Demonstrate pride in work, through accurate timely delivery
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
What's in it for you?
- Report to the structures Technical Director in Glasgow and senior members of the team
- Support or be responsible for the production of design packages for concept, tender and detailed design phases of projects
- Assist the co-ordination of environmental, geotechnical, civil or other specialist disciplines to assist in the provision of RPS' core multi-disciplinary design service
- Knowledge sharing and development of team colleague's technical ability
- Preparation of tender submission packages including multi-disciplinary design statements and presentation drawings
- Be the point of contact for our clients for selected work packages and join and contribute to client project meetings as required
- Guiding and supervising junior colleagues to facilitate successful delivery
- Maintain awareness and support the attainment of financial targets relating to personal utilisation and that of junior colleagues
- Seek guidance and feedback from colleagues when needed whilst maintaining ownership of work tasks to assist in driving forward their timely and accurate completion
- Present, discuss and develop own technical work to assist its checking and approval
- Maintains up to date technical knowledge
- Participate in the structural inspection and condition reporting of assets
We're RPS, our projects are all around you. We define, design and manage projects that create shared value to a complex, urbanising and resource-scarce world. Our people are our success. We need people who share our passion on solving the problems that matter. And where you'll be supported every step of the way. Here is where you come to build a career.
We're an accredited training provider - from entry level to master's degree level professional qualifications in leadership & management and executive coaching & mentoring, we support learning and development for everyone.
A personal development plan and a transparent career pathway puts you in the driving seat of your career and you'll be supported as far as you want to go.
We encourage and value different ideas, perspectives, and styles of thinking. We need a mix of experiences and skills to develop the most innovative ideas. We respect one another and recognise the potential and contribution of everyone. You'll be joining a diverse community and a company that puts its people first and prioritises their wellbeing.
We understand the need to work flexibly, with agile offices and hybrid working offered as standard, we're happy to talk about flexible working. This is a workplace that works for you.
A career here is far from ordinary. Here you're not a number, you're part of the solution.