Senior Civil Engineer (Water)
Apply now Job DescriptionDo you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As an experienced Senior Civil Engineer in Water and Infrastructure you will be working as part of our Buildings and Cities Unit in the South West, Wales or The Midlands.
The primary focus is the successful delivery and technical quality assurance of drainage, flooding and infrastructure projects. The successful candidate will also contribute to the winning of new work and the development of more junior staff.
Sectors we work in include defence, water, power utilities and rail. Our work varies day to day and examples of recent projects have included temporary drainage designs for significant contractor construction sites, optioneering for new build defence sites and working with a water utility company to support them with reactive repairs to a large pipeline.
The role will be challenging, demanding, varied, and offer fantastic opportunities for skill set and career development.
The key elements of the role include:
A bit about the team
- Innovative concept design, detailed design and specification, and the production of all forms of technical engineering deliverables
- Management of project resources and budgets
- Client and project stakeholder management, and coordination of project interfaces
- Technical, procedural, and behavioural leadership, and mentoring of more junior staff, to ensure minimum standards of health and safety, quality, and ethics are maintained in undertaking all project and other activities
- Business development including developing and maintaining client and contractor relationships, and producing or contributing to winning proposals for new work
- Development of links with Local Universities
This role will offer the successful candidate the opportunity to:
- Join a friendly and supportive team of engineers and other construction professionals in a vibrant multi-disciplinary office including global colleagues.
- Work with purpose and impact on a variety of challenging projects, across a range of sectors, in a company that has strong values
- Enjoy the support and opportunities of a truly global network of talented professionals
- Be creative and broaden your capabilities
- We work within a positive environment, our active sports and social club is supported by the business and we take a keen interest in CSR with staff taking part in activities to enhance the environment, support schools, and local and national charities.
Required for the position of Senior Civil Engineer (Water/Infrastructure);
- A degree in a relevant engineering discipline and professionally qualified with a professional body such as ICE or CIWEM.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain relationships with clients, contractors, and other project stakeholders
- A working knowledge and experience of relevant highways and Water Industry Standards and specifications (e.g. Sewerage Sector Guidance, SUDS Manual, DMRB)
- Experience of using industry standard design software such as Microdrainage and Autodesk Civil 3D.
- The ability to lead and coordinate the production of high-quality engineering deliverables
- The ability to work collaboratively in multi-disciplinary teams, either leading or participating
- A clear understanding of relevant UK health and safety legislation and good practice, including roles and responsibilities under CDM Regulations 2015
- The willingness to coach or mentor others
- Ability and willingness to travel in UK
- Demonstrate the Mott MacDonald core values of Progress, Respect, Integrity, Drive, and Excellence.
Preferred, but not required
- Experience of Bentley OpenRoads and GIS packages would also be beneficial but not essential
- Experience or awareness of other relevant engineering standards, specifications and best practice in relation to the design and assessment of infrastructure in the built environment
- Working knowledge of UK planning policy, and the requirements of relevant UK and European legislation relevant to the built environment
Please be advised that offers for this role are conditional upon obtaining the appropriate level of Security Clearance.
We are actively recruiting a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. We recognise that differences in ability, skills and experience are a strength and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.Job ProfileAbout the business unit
The Buildings and Cities Unit (BNC) has a major presence in Mott MacDonald's regional offices throughout the UK and mainland Europe, providing a wide range of diverse and transferable cross-sector skills across five key Sectors; Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation and Water. We also provide local services to customers and technical leadership to the rest of the Group in these sectors.How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Did you know that Mott MacDonald is one of the worlds largest employee-owned businesses? This means that we are not accountable to external stakeholders and are in control of our own future. This creates a unique culture where decisions are made for the benefit of the staff/company over the long term.
We are proud to be a one of Glassdoors top 25 employers to work for in the UK in 2023, as well as being recognised by the Financial Times and market and consumer data company Statista as one of the UK's leading and highly recommended management consultants in: Construction & Infrastructure, Energy, Utilities & Environment, Public & Social Sector, Sustainability, and Travel, Transport & Logistics.
We offer some fantastic benefits including:
Other InformationEquality, diversity and inclusion
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working because life isnt 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies for parents and care givers
- Annual bonus scheme
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including ability to buy/sell annual leave entitlement, cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans
- Wellbeing support including access to an independent Employer Assistance Scheme, wellbeing champions and access to learning and support resources
- Access to our Advanced Employee Networks which support our LGBTQ+, gender, race and ethnicity, disability and parents/carers communities
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how we can assist. Agile working
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust. More about Mott MacDonald
Were a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each persons differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence. Back to Search Apply now