Vacancy type Current vacancies
Profession Structural and Civil Engineering
BDP is a major international interdisciplinary practice of architects, engineers and designers working together to create outstanding 'places for people'. Founded in Preston in the UK in 1961, we now have studios across the UK and internationally.
Our engineering studio is vibrant; we offer leading thinking and inspirational solutions with maximum value for our clients and minimum impact on the planet. Our success is reflected in multiple awards, including the Structural Awards, and being shortlisted for NCE 100 Low Carbon Consultant and Collaborative Practice of the Year. We pride ourselves on providing a strong, supportive and enjoyable working environment where like-minded people are encouraged to share their thoughts, ideas and challenges. About you
We are seeking a senior or associate engineer to join our engineering studio in Clerkenwell, London and lead the civil and structural surveys design as part of our interdisciplinary design team. You will have a unique opportunity to work on the Restoration and Renewal of the Palace of Westminster, one of the most iconic buildings in the world. We are currently responding to a challenging employer brief to transform this iconic building into a fit for purpose, sustainable workplace and public building, and are in the early stages of understanding and surveying the existing building.
We are looking for an experienced, motivated and enthusiastic engineer, with extensive years of industry experience to join our team in London. Experience in working on the refurbishment and adaptation of existing buildings is vital,while experience on historic, listed projects would be desirable but is not essential.
As a key member of the team you will be responsible for leading the civil and structural aspects of the multidisciplinary surveys workstream. You will provide sound technical direction to the surveying strategy, coordinate resources, programme and QA processes and engage with the client and multiple key stakeholders.
Communication is key, and you should have a collaborative team-working style which will help foster strong working relationships with architects, engineers, clients and contractors.
Your knowledge of design processes, assessment of existing buildings and contractor coordination will steer the workstream, while your attention to detail and problem-solving mindset will ensure quality outputs and proactive engagement.
You will also have the opportunity to build on your existing digital design skills to contribute to a project that is expected to be at the forefront of modelling innovation, leading the communication of the existing information through 3D models alongside traditional hand sketches and calculations. Technical skills - Essential:
Technical skills - Desirable:
- Experienced working with existing buildings
- Strong project management background with proven experience in leading teams, design management, resourcing and programming
- Demonstrable site experience with a particular focus on contractor engagement and development of solutions to site discoveries
- Experience in scoping/specification of site surveys and opening up with evidence of strategic planning and overseeing of surveys
- Actively seeks solutions to problems
- Ability to deliver work on time and within budget
- Demonstrable working knowledge of the sound application of structural engineering principles
- Experience and involvement in scheming temporary works requirements for interventions in existing buildings
- Able to demonstrate practical and collaborative involvement with other designers and contractors
- Experienced in engaging with multiple stakeholders, such as third-party asset owners, building occupiers, planning officers
- Experience working within a BIM environment
Your personal skills
- Chartered Engineer with a few years relevant post-qualification experience (MICE or MIStructE)
- Has worked on the adaptation of historic buildings and in particular understands the different construction typologies associated with Victorian construction
- Experienced in the writing of bespoke specifications to suit a unique building, situation or fabric typology
- Experience in surveying historic structures
- Involvement with heritage stakeholders such as Historic England, conservation architects and conservation officers
- Ability to specify conservation-based repairs to historic fabric
- Experience in the analysis and design of existing fabric, particularly masonry and timber
- Experience in the design or adaptation of stone and masonry structures
- Highly motivated and passionate about delivering projects on time, within budget and with quality
- Organised and methodical with particular attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with an ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy
- The ability to prioritise tasks and work to tight deadlines under pressure
- Have a pragmatic approach and possess strong problem-solving techniques
- Be commercially aware
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to build relationships at all levels with clients and employees alike and across all professional disciplines
- Able to manage Client and contractor expectations
BDP is a continuous collective of architects, engineers, designers and urbanists. We design at every scale from city masterplans, neighbourhoods, parks, streets and buildings to specialist, bespoke light and acoustic installations.
We are placemakers who work at every stage of the design process from visioning to briefing to design, delivery and operation. We respond to the demands of our dynamic and ever-changing planet with cross-discipline design thinking that spans all of life's activities, protects the environment and enhances social value.
Harnessing our collective ethos, the spirit of BDP is about making places for people. Our structure and governance as a global network of federated city studios creates design hubs that are connected to the cities, regions and communities they serve.
As part of the Nippon Koei Group, we fuse our passion for architecture and engineering with user-centred design and large scale infrastructure projects to deliver world-class solutions for better, more prosperous places. BDP offers
In return, BDP offers an excellent opportunity for your personal development as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes a competitive salary, flexible pension allowance, private medical insurance, employee profit shares, contribution towards professional subscriptions and a great working environment. Essential requirement
Due to the nature of the project, the successful candidate would be required to undergo a security clearance process and therefore you will be required to have at least 3 years UK residency within the last 5 years. We will also need to confirm your employment/ educational history over the last 3 years in order to qualify. To apply
Please write or apply via our web site www.bdp.co.uk/careers enclosing a CV stating why you believe you are suitable for the position, including an indication of your salary expectations.
BDP is actively fostering an inclusive organisation where people can be themselves and everyone has a sense of belonging. We want our teams to be diverse at every level, reflecting the communities we design for. As designers, we will create spaces for all that promote equity, wellbeing, and participation within the built environment. We actively encourage people from a variety of backgrounds with different skills, professional and life experiences, to join us and help us to achieve our aspirations. We also welcome applications from candidates who wish to work flexibly.
BDP is an equal opportunities employer.
No agencies or third party applications please.