About Royal HaskoningDHV:
Royal HaskoningDHV has been connecting people for 140 years. Together, through our expertise and passion, we have helped contribute to a better society and improved people's lives with work underpinned by our sustainable values and goals. We are an independent international engineering and project management consultancy leading the way in sustainable development and innovation.
Royal HaskoningDHV is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences. We recognise that embracing diversity unlocks innovation and creativity and fosters collaboration. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our communities and the customers we serve.
About Our Maritime Business:
Our Maritime team are at the forefront of innovative maritime planning, design and development. We are multi-disciplinary experts that work on international projects to create successful ports and maritime infrastructure worldwide. We have provided expert commercial, technical and operational advice and created master plans across the five continents for a wide-range of port projects.
We are one of the largest and most experienced teams of port planning professionals globally and we are world leaders in the production of port feasibility studies and master plans. From our Newcastle and Brighton offices, we lead all the company's shipyard projects collaborating with colleagues globally!
If you're a structural / civil marine engineer looking to work on globally significant projects, this role would provide you a step-up in the career ladder. We have a flat organisation structure which truly embraces individual autonomy, this role will provide great exposure to local and global projects alike, whilst working with the leading professionals within the Shipyard sector!
Prepare designs and analysis for maritime and associated structures, from initial concepts through to detailed designs, including;
- Collect and collate design data
- Carry out inspections and surveys
- Produce design calculations, check and review calculations produced by others.
- Produce outline models, drawings and details for CAD (in Revit environment if you can but detailed drafting/modelling by modellers), check and review these prior to issue
- Prepare draft Bills of Quantities, Contract Documents and Specifications.
- Prepare reports and presentations.
- Undertake structural analyses and reporting.
- Provide engineering judgement and advice; contribute to preparation of study reports
- Manage and direct more junior staff
- Coach junior staff in technical matters
- Autonomy and responsibility to work on the projects you find interesting
- Produce proposals and work directly with our Clients.
What we feel is the required skills and experience:
- Analytical Ability - to independently undertake design and analysis work with support from senior engineers for complex tasks.
- Communication Skills - can clearly articulate orally and in writing the reasons behind your decisions. Confident presenting to team members, clients and stakeholders.
- Client Orientation - understands the importance of the client's perception of the organization. Maintains a professional client- facing approach.
- Conceptual Ability - Is capable of undertaking design from concept to ready for construction.
- Problem Solving - can think laterally and develop solutions to problems with others and on your own.
- Relationship Building - builds a network within the immediate team, and the wider organization and can be a trusted advisor to our clients.
- Personable - approachable, relatable and empathetic
- Civil or Structural Engineering Degree (or equivalent)
- Chartered member of a relevant institution, e.g. CEng MICE or CEng MIStructE,
- Good communicator (written and verbal)
- Professional experience in planning and design of ports/heavy civils projects
- Shipyard Design experience preferred but not essential
- Experience in reinforced concrete design and finite element analysis
- Retaining wall and piling design experience
- Willing to travel occasionally throughout the UK and overseas.
Even if you feel you do not meet all of the role requirements described above, please still apply. We value applications from a range of backgrounds - so please highlight additional skills you could bring to the role.
What we can offer you:
Ambitious. Exciting. Lively. Collaborative. Dynamic. That's how our colleagues describe our company. Want to contribute to enhancing society with your expertise? Be part of an open network where you're connected with the brightest and smartest people and technologies? Join us!
You can look forward to growing your career in a dynamic workplace with development opportunities and support on your career path. We have flexible working models to ensure a balance of family and working life
Newcastle upon Tyne