The City of Vacaville - A beautiful place to live, a great place to work!
With more than 500 employees, the City of Vacaville values work-life balance and offers work schedules with every other Friday off, employee social and wellness activities, casual dress days, competitive pay, generous benefits and a substantial retirement package.
Contribute to our vibrant community and join our team!
The City of Vacaville is accepting applications for a Plan Check Engineer. Currently, one (1) full-time vacancy exists for this position within the Community Development Department. This recruitment will establish an eligibility list for future city-wide, full-time, part-time and limited-term vacancies in this classification that may occur over the next 12-month period.
The City of Vacaville is located within Solano County. Measuring 29.09 square miles and equipped with Biotechnology and Advanced Manufacturing initiative, the City of Vacaville attracts diverse types of development to its community, from new large-scale industrial and commercial development to residential tract subdivisions, apartment communities, custom homes, and nonresidential tenant improvements.
Why It's a Great Opportunity:
- This is an exciting time to come work at the City of Vacaville with several new master-planned communities in development such as Lower Lagoon Valley, Greentree, and Roberts Ranch.
- The City has invested in the economic development future of Vacaville with the recent approval of a 375,000 square foot biomanufacturing campus and 1.5M square feet of industrial buildings currently under construction. Vacaville welcomes companies involved in biomanufacturing, lab research, and other exciting, advanced manufacturing industries.
- The Community Development Department is staffed with 18 full-time staff and has an excellent reputation for being a diverse group of committed individuals who are advocates for the built environment of our community.
- You will be part of a team that is the face of the City inside and outside of City Hall, reviewing plans for code compliance while developing and nurturing strong relationships with a diverse group of customers.
- We offer a competitive salary and benefits package as well as the opportunity to be a part of an organization that prides itself on customer service and a department that fosters camaraderie and team building.
- We are dedicated to continually improving the City, with an emphasis on working collaboratively to promote equity and equality and keep Vacaville moving forward.
The Plan Check Engineer is an exciting and dynamic position. It is responsible for performing a full range of technical plans examining work, including analyzing, checking, and approving various engineering documents/calculations and specifications of buildings and structures, including large-scale commercial and multi-family development. Reviews building plans and specifications for compliance with Title 24 building, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical codes, state statutes and local ordinances. The Plan Check Engineer also provides information related to the building permit process and code requirements to the public, contractors, and builders.
$115,113.36 - $139,897.74/year
A 2% COLA is scheduled for 11/1/23
*Please see our generous benefits package here.*
For a complete job description, please click here.
The ideal candidate is a customer service-oriented individual with strong interpersonal skills and a self-starter who thrives working independently or on a team to provide excellent customer service.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in structural engineering, civil engineering, architecture, or a closely related field.
Experience: Four (4) years of professional engineering and/or architectural experience including increasingly responsible experience in structural design and/or plan checking.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid certificate of registration as a professional engineer or as a licensed architect in the State of California is required.
Possession of a certification as a Plans Examiner, as issued by the International Code Council (ICC), is required prior to completion of probation.
Possession of a valid California Class C driver's license and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.
ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE
A completed City of Vacaville Employment Application and Supplemental Questionnaire must be received by the Human Resources Department at 650 Merchant Street, Vacaville, CA 95688 by 5:30pm on October 23, 2023.
IMPORTANT: Contact with candidates will primarily be via email. Make sure you list a current email that you check regularly with your application.
Applicants are encouraged to apply online at www.cityofvacaville.com. Application packets may also be requested in person at the Human Resources Department or by calling (707) 449-5101.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application packet.
For ADA information and other Frequently Asked Questions, please click here.
Applicants receiving a conditional offer of employment must successfully complete the pre-placement process for this position before a final offer will be extended. Pre-placement assessments for this position include an employment and education verification, DMV record review, medical exam and a Livescan (FBI/DOJ fingerprint review).