GET TO KNOW WINTER HAVEN
With a history in citrus, lakes, and Americana rock & roll, the Winter Haven, Florida experience is a chorus of modern lifestyle possibilities in harmony with our roots. Winter Haven is where affordable lake living is a reality, and water play is a natural requirement. It’s a place where there’s a concert on every corner and family excitement in every park. It’s a town that chooses to differentiate itself with an understated cool vibe.Arts and culture, playful fun, music fusion, affordable homes, a craft brewery, and local eateries are just a sampling of daily life. And let’s not forget about Winter Haven’s hometown connection to family-friendly LEGOLAND Florida Resort just down the block from the City core.
Winter Haven continues to experience steady, quality growth as it transforms into a distinctively unique City, embracing the values and needs of its residents. Partnerships and a cooperative spirit make Winter Haven an attractive City for new businesses and entrepreneurs. The City’s progress and success are owned by each of its residents, and planning for the future can never stop. Winter Haven is an exceptional destination offering all of life’s desires within its boundaries. The City of Winter Haven staff looks forward to serving its residents, businesses and visitors as we all enjoy Winter Haven’s special lifestyle.
The City of Winter Haven operates under a Council- Manager form of Government. Five elected City Commissioners are responsible for City policy. The City Manager, who reports to the Commission, is responsible for the day-to-day operations of 600+ employees.
Winter Haven is a full-service City, providing services in the areas of Police, Fire, Water & Sewer Utilities, Solid Waste, Roads & Drainage, Building Permitting and Inspections, Planning, Parks & Recreation, Libraries, Cemeteries, and multiple internal support functions. The current population is 53,331; however, the greater service area is estimated at 83,000.
Enriching lifestyle through exceptional customer service.
Our Core Values: Integrity/Respect, Financial Stewardship, Inclusive, Visionary, Exceptional Service
The City recognizes, embraces and celebrates the diversity of our great community and strives to include these unique voices, ideas and cultures in all aspects of City services.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We’re searching for a dedicated Assistant City Engineer to join our Engineering Services Division. This Division plays a crucial role in guiding the City’s infrastructure projects and maintenance endeavors, focusing on initiatives such as stormwater management and road and pavement maintenance.
The Assistant City Engineer will be responsible for overseeing site plan reviews, ensuring each engineering plan submitted is processed efficiently and with utmost precision. This role entails hands-on involvement in engineering projects, especially in areas like stormwater management, streets and sidewalks, sanitary sewer collection systems, and water distribution systems.
Leadership responsibilities include guiding, supervising, and reviewing the work of both in-office and field engineering teams to ensure projects align with the City’s standards of accuracy and completeness. Expertise will be applied in drafting bid specifications, formulating contract construction estimates, and managing permit applications with key agencies, such as the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) and the Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD).
Additionally, the Assistant City Engineer will administer the City’s floodplain ordinance and collaborate with the Building Division on matters concerning construction activities and permit requisites within flood zones. As the Community Rating System (CRS) coordinator, the role is vital for floodplain management and associated endeavors.
Effective communication is paramount. The Assistant City Engineer will address public concerns regarding public rights-of-way, propose suitable corrective measures, assist contractors in understanding City regulations, and offer expertise in interpreting site plans and City standards.
Administrative duties include preparing reports, conducting fieldwork and inspections, and handling division- related documentation. Upholding the City’s mission, vision, and core values, strategies will be implemented that ensure consistent growth and infrastructural enhancement.
This position is integral to the City’s sustainable development and infrastructure upkeep. While many responsibilities have been detailed here, this is not an exhaustive list; the Assistant City Engineer may be called upon to perform other essential tasks in achieving the City’s goals.
- Possession of a Florida Professional Engineer (PE) License.
- Graduation from a four (4) year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Five (5) years of pertinent work experience in the civil engineering field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience that is determined to be directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of civil
- Ability to plan, direct, assign, coordinate, supervise, and evaluate work performance by engineering staff.
- Ability to relate well with contractors, the general public, and fellow employees; give clear, concise directions, orders, and report both verbally and in writing.
- Experience in design of urban storm water management systems and preparation of SWFWMD permit applications.
- Proficiency in the operation of one or more storm water management computer programs is preferred.
- Must have, or be willing to acquire, a valid Florida driver’s license and a good driving record as determined by the City of Winter Haven.
Physical / Environmental Factors:
- Must have the physical ability, strength, and flexibility to perform the job functions in the work environment.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
Enriching lifestyle through exceptional service.