Principal Civil Engineer Water and wastewater hydraulics
Apply now Job Description
Do you want to work for an employee-owned company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal engineer with a strong technical background and expertise in hydraulic analysis and design to join our growing UK water and wastewater pipelines team. Youll lead the design and analysis for a range of projects and topics, such as transmission pipelines, surge analysis, hydraulic design of water and wastewater treatment works, stormwater storage tunnels, etc. Youll be able to understand water projects holistically and work in collaboration with other teams (mechanical, process, structural, environmental) for the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary projects.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Leading hydraulic analysis on a range of projects, such as transmission pipelines, surge analysis, hydraulic design of water and wastewater treatment works, stormwater storage tunnels, etc
- Producing and reviewing engineering calculations, specifications, drawings and reports.
- Proactive management of design risk to deliver constructable design solutions.
- Supporting continuous improvement of procedures and processes to drive efficiency and innovation, contributing to the application of our digital engineering initiatives.
- Mentoring more junior colleagues. Providing technical guidance and advice on best practice in hydraulic design to others.
- Engaging regularly with the Client and stakeholders to ensure the efficient delivery of projects, providing regular updates on progress and status of work within own area of responsibility, as well as identifying and communicating issues that could risk programme, quality or cost.
- Working collaboratively across disciplines to ensure the efficient delivery of projects within your portfolio.
- Engaging with best practice and taking responsibility for your own professional development.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Principal Engineer with the following attributes:
- Significant technical experience of pressurised and open-channel hydraulics applied to the field of civil engineering, including surge analysis and design for water and wastewater treatment, transmission pipelines, and large-scale drainage systems through one or more stages of a project life cycle.
- A track record of applying hydraulics theory and best practice into practical applications in the water industry.
- Proven ability to lead delivery of technical projects, including controlling and reporting on project budgets within area of responsibility, and experienced in the preparation of time and budget estimates for proposals.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills to be able to enter into technical discussions in a logical and coherent fashion in both oral presentations and written reports, to colleagues, non-technical staff and clients.
- Chartered membership of a relevant professional chartered institution, such as ICE or CIWEM.
- Experience in transmission pipeline design, e.g. route and material selection, hydraulic design, steel pipe wall thickness calculations, thrust restraint solutions, etc
- Experience in CFD applied to the water industry.
- Experience in supervision of physical scale modelling studies.
We are actively recruiting a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. We recognise that differences in ability, skills and experience are a strength and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
If Security Clearance is required:
Please be advised that offers for this role are conditional upon obtaining the appropriate level of Security Clearance. Job Profile
The Water Consultancy Division is the centre of excellence within Mott MacDonald for responding to water and wastewater delivery capability challenges, providing support to colleagues across our global business, and offering the best opportunities to get involved in diverse and technically challenging work. Our team continues to grow off the back of our sustained success in both the domestic and international water sector, for major utility companies and on high profile capital schemes.
Do you want to be part of an employee-owned company where our unique independence affords us the opportunity to focus on projects that matter to us those focusing on delivering social outcomes and enhancing the environment, that harness digital innovation and that challenge our technical excellence? Working for a company like ours, with technical excellence at our core, offers you access to industry recognised experts in a variety of disciplines, to provide support and career development opportunities. At Mott MacDonald, we are a collaborative team, excited to solve complex challenges that have a positive impact on the world, and we are always looking for like-minded people to join us.
Get in touch if you want to know more and are keen to be involved in the development of innovative solutions to solve these very real challenges.
About the business unit
Environmental and social considerations are central to Mott MacDonalds Purpose and its offerings across all sectors and territories. Our environment and social business provides essential services and innovative solutions which anticipate our clients' needs across all sectors.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Did you know that Mott MacDonald is one of the worlds largest employee-owned businesses? This means that we are not accountable to external stakeholders and are in control of our own future. This creates a unique culture where decisions are made for the benefit of the staff/company over the long term.
We are proud to be a one of Glassdoors top 25 employers to work for in the UK in 2023, as well as being recognised by the Financial Times and market and consumer data company Statista as one of the UK's leading and highly recommended management consultants in: Construction & Infrastructure, Energy, Utilities & Environment, Public & Social Sector, Sustainability, and Travel, Transport & Logistics.
We offer some fantastic benefits including:
Other Information Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working because life isnt 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies for parents and care givers
- Annual bonus scheme
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including ability to buy/sell annual leave entitlement, cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans
- Wellbeing support including access to an independent Employer Assistance Scheme, wellbeing champions and access to learning and support resources
- Access to our Advanced Employee Networks which support our LGBTQ+, gender, race and ethnicity, disability and parents/carers communities
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how we can assist. Agile working
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust. More about Mott MacDonald
Were a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each persons differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence. Back to Search Apply now