Junior Civil Engineer - Overhead Lines
Apply now Job DescriptionDo you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
About the role
We're currently recruiting for a Junior Civil Engineer who is interested in a career within the Overhead Line design team in our Transmission & Distribution division. Youll receive on the job training and work towards providing specialist advice, designs, reports, and engineering input across a portfolio of projects.
Specifically, youll manage and complete design work associated with transmission and distribution line design.
Engineering work includes route selection, PLS-CADD modelling, structural model in PLS TOWER, line schedules, stringing tables and charts, design reports, site verification, drawings, specifications and design standards. You should be capable of performing OHL design and will coordinate with the wider team for successful completion of the deliverables. The OHL design engineer is able to complete complex projects or assignments autonomously and provide technical solutions to problems with little or no precedent.
Candidate SpecificationAbout you
- Perform, review and approve OH line designs complying to relevant international standards;
- Ensure designs approved for delivery comply with relevant legislation, standards, policies and procedures;
- Update or create design standards and related documentation to ensure continued compliance to standards and industry best practice;
- Manage or complete studies in specialist areas such as line design, tower spotting, sag -tension, plan and profile, structural design of lattice towers, structural design of steel poles and wood pole design;
- Manage or complete Construction Design Studies (CDS) to assess models based on actual construction loadings, including methods of works, pulling locations and forces etc. Propose and consider additional temporary strengthening solutions for completion of the construction works;
- Prepare, review and manage specifications and other design documentation;
- Provide competitive design solutions to support the achievement of MMLs client objectives;
- Be proficient in the use of engineering software to prepare transmission and distribution lines designs.
- Degree qualification in Civil or Structural al Engineering;
- Experience in an OHL engineering environment including significant scheme and project / design management and proven track record of scheme delivery;
- Working knowledge of appropriate International Standards and Codes of Practice relevant to the design of transmission and distribution OHLs;
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures applicable to the preparation of designs and specifications;
- Knowledge of HSE and CDM regulations;
- Ability to perform Risk Assessments and develop mitigation strategies;
- Knowledge in the use of engineering design software including PLS-CADD (preferrable), PLS-Tower (preferrable), AutoCAD (preferrable) and other design software to develop designs;
- Working knowledge of design quality assurance processes to ensure that designs meet quality requirements;
- Working knowledge and demonstrated experience in the requirements and application of Safety in Design;
- Ability to promote a high standard of professionalism, effective communication and personal integrity within the design team;
- Proactive, and proficient in working with clients both internally and externally; and
- Ability to work in a team environment.
If you meet 80% or more of what were looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didnt know we need.Job ProfileAbout the business unit
The Energy unit delivers services to clients globally across a number of sectors including hydropower, nuclear, waste, renewable generation and transmission & distribution networks. Together we provide integrated engineering and project management services across the project lifecycle from concept and design, to construction and operations, to decommissioning or repowering and life extension. Together with our clients, were helping to deliver the energy transition globally.How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working because life isnt 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
#LI-GW1Other InformationEquality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how we can assist. Agile working
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust. More about Mott MacDonald
Were a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each persons differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence Back to Search Apply now