Atkins are looking to appoint recently chartered or near chartedStructural Engineers
into ourBristol Structures
team to help deliver work on major defence and nuclear projects in the South West.Successful candidates will be required to work a minimum of 3 days per week from a client office or construction site in Devon or Somerset.Atkins' Building Design practice provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of projects relating to buildings and infrastructure. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world's most challenging and exciting engineering projects across sectors including; Education, Commercial, Residential, Defence, Energy and Transportation. You will have the opportunity to work with major clients on stimulating and high-profile projects in the UK. As well as the role providing technical and creative challenges you will have the satisfaction of working on projects which are changing the way people live and work today. This rolewill
require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance.Requirements
- Degree in Structural or Civil Engineering.
- Chartered Engineer (MIStructE or MICE) or near Chartered.
- Proven experience in the design of structures using the conventional engineering materials (steel concrete, timber, masonry) to Eurocodes.
- Have experience in several, and ideally all of the following areas;
- UK MoD Defence Projects (JSP's, CTM etc)
- Submarine Facilities Design
- Nuclear Projects (Satisfying Safety Cases)
- Seismic Design and Detailing (Steel and Concrete to US Codes)
- Maritime Design (BS 6349)
- Heavy Civils Design
- Building Design
- Acting as a Discipline Lead
- Design and/or Project Management
- Experience in the use of structural analysis design software. (Robot Structural Analysis and Revit experience is desirable but not essential).
- Willingness and flexibility to learn new software.
- Embrace new technologies including digital engineering, automation and parametric design.
- Strong communication and presentation skills that can support our client relationships.
- A flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given.
- You should have the ability to make decisions, act on your own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
- A curious minded individual who enjoys the stimulation of exchanging ideas with others.
What we offer
- Use your technical skills and knowledge on a wide range of building structures and apply to various circumstances.
- Develop conceptual solutions to problems through to detailed design.
- Contribute to the development of the multi-disciplined project team's approach.
- Assist in the execution of projects within defined design and cost parameters.
- Undertake research, data collection and presentation of information.
- Present results to clients under supervision of an Atkins lead designer.
- Comply with Quality and Technical Assurance Procedures.
- Be aware of and work in compliance with BIM standards, Digital Plan of Work and the project BIM Execution plan.
- Experience with parametric modelling software and software coding (Dynamo, python, C++ etc.) is desirable and may be a development target.
- Represent Atkins on site visits and at design team meetings.
- Assist/mentor the development of apprentice and less experienced staff.
- Be proactive in self-development.
- Help maintain a broad range of skills within the team to ensure full support is provided to the design staff.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins' corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.Training
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process.Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need.You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package .https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Civil Structural Engineer Newcastle Upon Tyne, North East England, United Kingdom