Job Title: Principal Engineer - Safety and EnvironmentalLocation: Rosyth, Bristol, or Plymouth + Hybrid Compensation: Competitive + Attractive BenefitsRole Type: Full time / PermanentRole ID: SF51768
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Principal Engineer at one of our various sites - Rosyth, Bristol, or Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth.The role
As a Principal Engineer you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. We seek a Principal Safety and Environmental Engineer to produce outputs for Babcock products, that meet the safety and environmental requirements of applicable legislation and Ministry of Defence Policy.
Day-to-day you'll have responsibility for:
Essential experience of the Principal Engineer:
- The provision of expert professional safety and environmental support to surface ship, submarine, equipment, and commercial projects.
- The provision of governance and assurance to safety and environmental projects as directed by the Head of Department.
- The provision of expert safety and environmental case input to non-conformances and design changes for specified systems.
- The provision of robust management of the Safety and Environmental Case 'body of evidence' that in turn supports the argument to be made within a Safety and Environmental Case Report that a Product, System or Service is 'safe to operate' and operated safely and environmentally soundly for its given application within its defined operating environment.
- The provision of support other members of SEG in developing non-nuclear safety and environmental assessments or cases.
The Principal Safety and Environmental Engineer is required to have an extensive engineering background in a relevant discipline and extensive experience of safety and environmental assessment / management processes that are specifically directed towards systems or product safety and environmental assessment in the maritime arena.
- Substantial experience in an environmental protection role and experience of developing an Environmental Management System
- Working knowledge of MOD Health Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and regulations particularly the Acquisition Safety and Environmental Management Systems, Project Oriented Safety Management Systems and Project Oriented Environmental Management System
- Working knowledge of applicable Defence Standards and Joint Service Publications such as 00-056 and 418
- Working knowledge of Defence Safety Authority Policy and Defence Domain specific Regulations
- Technical Authorship
- Chairmanship and recording of technical meetings.
This is a hybrid role with the requirment to be based onsite for 2-3 days per week, at either Rosyth, Bristol or Devonport Royal Dockyard.
The successful candidate must be able to achieve SC security clearance level for this role.Our Benefits
- Generous holiday allowance
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
For over 130 years Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.