Press Tab to Move to Skip to Content Link Around the world, SYSTRA's specialists plan, design, integrate, test, commission, project manage and deliver mass transit and mobility solutions that are relied on by more than 50 million people every day.
For more than 60 years, the Group has been committed to helping cities and regions contribute to their development by creating, improving and modernising their transport infrastructure with sustainability, accessibility and innovation at the heart of our designs. With over 8,250 colleagues globally and around 1000 in the UK & Ireland we are growing significantly and seeking out the very best talent to join the SYSTRA signature team and be part of leading the way in infrastructure design.
We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Civils Design Engineer to act as lead designer on a variety of rail and infrastructure design projects. In this role you will manage budgets, programmes and quality assurance in the delivery of projects. T he role can be based from either our Reading, Birmingham, Bristol, York or Manchester offices, however SYSTRA have adopted a hybrid working arrangement which allows significant flexibility to work. Main Duties:
- Prepare outline and detailed design of multi-disciplinary projects as directed.
- Follow check and approve procedures throughout project delivery.
- Interface with other discipline and 3rd party Engineers to ensure a multi-disciplinary design is developed
- Report to Senior Engineer and Project Management team on progress of project
- Undertake the duties of designer as highlighted in CDM/CSM legislation
- Apply procedures and systems to ensure the safety of staff and others affected by the operations of SYSTRA throughout design lifecycle
- Contribute to company-wide goals and business improvement
- Continue your own Professional Development with support from SYSTRA
- Good knowledge and experience of civil engineering design and detailing, railway experience desired but not essential
- A Civil Engineering degree 2:2 or above (or equivalent)
- Knowledge of civil design and construction principles and standards
- Knowledge of Network Rail standards desired but not essential
- Achieved or working towards Chartership with a professional body i.e. ICE, IStructE
- Experience as a design engineer under supervision with responsibilities for delivery of project(s) to the required quality
- Experience in delivering to safety standards and CDM/CSM requirements
- Awareness of contract conditions and the importance of contracts in project delivery
- Experience of commercial awareness including programming and delivery to budgets/timescales
- Proficient in the use of computer analysis programs e.g. TEDDS and Supersuite.
- Knowledge of producing drawings by using 2D/3D MicroStation
- Knowledge of BIM Level 2.
- Flexibility in working hours will be required to meet the demands of the role
- Ability to travel to client sites and other SYSTRA offices will be required
Our three core values: Excellence, Connected Teams and Bold Leadership are kept at the heart of everything we do. We strive for the highest levels of technical excellence, achieving the best results through teamwork, both locally and internationally, and reward innovative thinking through encouraging all colleagues to think as leaders. We offer clear and well supported pathways for career development and qualification attainment, a competitive remuneration package including a bonus and private healthcare, an electric car scheme and a broad suite of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.Flexibility
Because we value who you are as much as what you do, we want you to feel supported at work. We offer hybrid working, balancing the benefits of working from home with time in our modern, well-equipped offices for that crucial in-person contact, team development and collaborative working. We also recognise that life doesn't always run to the same schedule for everyone, so we have a dedicated flexible working policy to support you in tailoring your work life to reach your full potential, for more details on this, please get in touch.Diversity & Inclusion
We provide a warm welcome and encourage applications from a diverse range of people who can enrich our company and offer perspectives which will drive better solutions in a truly inclusive environment. Our employee led working groups and clearly defined strategy help us to keep at the leading edge of important issues and keep us accountable. We want our colleagues to feel comfortable to bring their whole selves to work and continually seek new ideas and contributions to ensure we continue to grow and develop in this space.
It's no surprise that people do their best work when they feel physically and mentally supported. Our SYSTRA Wellness Programme offers a wide range of support; from Wellness champions, to free health checks, healthy eating workshops and regular seminars, alongside access to a wide range of external support. We offer two paid days for charity work and an ever-growing social calendar.
Apply and find out more about how Systra can support you in your career journey. If you require any adjustments to support you in your application or interview process please email:
firstname.lastname@example.org where your request will be treated confidentially and with respect. We pledge to offer an interview to any candidates with a disability who apply for a role and meet the minimum criteria.
As we are always looking to expand our team, we would still be interested in hearing from you if you fulfil most, but not all, of the relevant criteria for the role - you could still be just what we are looking for.