Essential Job Functions
- Performs technical and sub-professional civil engineering work related to the development, design and construction of public works projects.
- Assists staff Civil Engineers in the various stages of capital and development projects including design and contract document development, construction and as-built oversight, and engineering standards development and application.
- Performs construction administration related duties such as field inspection, surveying, field measurement, and documentation of conformance to plans, specifications, state and federal requirements, engineering standards, and administrative requirements. Performs oversight of contracted survey work.
- Reviews and processes building and right-of-way permit applications for improvements to ensure compliance with site development specifications, availability of utility service and compatibility with planned and existing public improvements.
- Collaborates and coordinates with internal and external customers. Answers questions and provides information regarding engineering plan reviews, construction inspection, utilities, permit requirements, as-built data, right-of-way locations and various reports requested by City colleagues, the public, other government agencies and private entities.
- Develops, updates and maintains legal descriptions, maps, records, illustrations and reports including streets, rights-of-way, utility systems, traffic controls and investigations.
- Updates and assists in development and maintenance of engineering standard plans.
- Collects, inputs and updates traffic, pavement, street and utility infrastructure data.
- Assists with, and develops, public education exhibits. Schedules open houses to inform and receive feedback from the public on plans and details of assigned projects.
- Develops, recommends, applies and assists in implementation of policies and procedures to guide the operation of the department’s data management programs.
- Maintains current desk procedures and tasks to explain position responsibilities. Creates, updates and implements process improvement procedures, tasks, workflows and systems.
- Associates or technical degree in an engineering related field.
- Four years of experience in government construction permitting, project design and management.
- Must possess a current WA State Driver’s License and maintain throughout employment.
- Must obtain WA State Flagger Certification within three (3) months of hire and maintain throughout employment.
- Must obtain Erosion and Sediment Control Lead Certification (CECSL) within six (6) months of hire and maintain throughout employment.
- Washington State Traffic Control Supervisor (TCS) Certification preferred.
The City provides a comprehensive benefits package that is largely employer paid including Medical/Dental/Vision, FSA/HSA, WA State PERS, Life/AD&D and generous paid Vacation, Holiday and Sick Leave Programs. The City also offers optional 457 (up to 2% City match), LTD and Supplemental Life plan participation.
City of Wenatchee Government
The City of Wenatchee is a full-service City employing 190 employees. In addition to Public Works, other departments include Police, Community Development, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services, Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. The City operates under a Strong Mayor form of government with seven council members. Active boards and commissions advise the City Council with governance.
The City of Wenatchee is home to 35,405 people with 116,178 living in the greater Wenatchee area. Located in a beautiful valley at the confluence of the Wenatchee and Columbia Rivers and on the east slopes of the Cascade Mountain Range, the city enjoys abundant sunshine with four distinct seasons. The average rainfall is a mere 10 inches per year making the region a focal point of Washington State for outdoor recreation. Wenatchee is the largest city in rural North Central Washington and thus provides a small-town atmosphere with big city amenities striking a great balance between rural and urban qualities of life.
Why Wenatchee is Such an Attractive Place to Live and Work
The City is surrounded by the Cascade foothills. These foothills have been largely preserved as open space with trail systems for public use. The City also has a wonderful historic downtown area adjoining a world class waterfront park and trail system. Renowned resort towns of Leavenworth and Lake Chelan are a scenic 30-minute drive away. Wenatchee serves as a medical, retail, technology, governmental and professional service hub for the largely agricultural area of North Central Washington. Combining these core regional services with a strong fruit and wine agricultural industry yields a relatively stable economy. Many people have moved to our valley to take advantage of the outdoor recreation mecca and beautiful natural environment that makes the City an amazing place to live. People moving to Wenatchee find that the citizens are very community minded with many active service organizations. Additionally, public parks, quality arts programs and cultural experience opportunities are more plentiful than comparably sized cities. Suburban sprawl is nearly non-existent and thus commute times rarely exceed 15 minutes. For those desiring occasional amenities of major metropolitan areas, Seattle is a short scenic 3-hour drive or 30-minute flight away making Wenatchee very attractive to many people and families relocating from the Puget Sound area.
A Comprehensive View of our Region
Find out more about the City at https://www.wenatcheewa.gov/. Tourism highlights of the region can be viewed at http://www.visitwenatchee.org, http://www.visitchelancounty.com and http://www.wenatchee.org.
“We Are Wenatchee Part I” https://vimeo.com/88411706
“We Are Wenatchee Part II” https://vimeo.com/121429638
“We Are Wenatchee Part III” https://vimeo.com/208608170
Our historic downtown is a nationally recognized Main Street with an active downtown association http://www.wenatcheedowntown.org.
How to Apply
To view the job description and complete an online application please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/wenatcheewa.
Closing Date: 5:00 P.M., Tuesday, October 31st, 2023.