Assistant Village Engineer/Transportation Engineer, Village of Oak Park, IL
The Village of Oak Park, Illinois, a dynamic community, located just eight miles west of Downtown Chicago, is accepting applications to fill the Assistant Village Engineer/Transportation Engineer position. This position serves the public through the development and implementation of transportation plans and policies as well as assisting in overseeing the development and management of capital improvement projects and plans while supervising and directing the Transportation Engineering Division.
The Assistant Village Engineer/Transportation Engineer will be responsible for leading the planning, design, and operation of the Village’s transportation system; designing and managing capital improvement projects; supervising and directing the Transportation Engineering Division; assisting in directing, supervising, and coordinating activities of the Engineering Division; and providing administrative support to the Village Engineer and Director of Public Works.
The ideal applicant will have extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of civil and transportation engineering; applicable laws and regulatory codes relevant to assigned area of responsibility; current principles, best management practices, and theories related to civil and transportation engineering including alternative transportation modes; and methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction of public works projects.
The ideal applicant should have excellent customer service skills, strong written and oral communication skills, experience effectively multi-tasking, strong analytical abilities, good time-management skills and the ability to address engineering matters at varying levels of complexity. The ideal applicant will have five years of increasingly responsible professional civil engineering experience with demonstrated supervisory experience. The ideal applicant should possess training equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering. Possession of Certificate of Registration as a professional civil engineer from the State of Illinois is required.
The ideal applicant will be able to accomplish the items listed below.
- Responsible for the overall effectiveness and efficiencies of all programs, activities, and functions of the Transportation Engineering Division of the Public Works Department.
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs including design, mapping, field survey, private development, real estate and program planning for future public works and capital needs; recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Transportation Commission.
- Oversee the development and implementation of transportation plans and policies including, but not limited to, Vision Zero Plan, Bicycle Plans, Complete Streets Policies, etc.
- Support the Parking and Mobility Services Division of the Development Services Department for the management of the curb lane for parking and mobility needs, overseeing complex parking studies, and management of public parking lot improvement projects.
- Oversee the development and management of the Transportation Engineering Division’s operating and the Capital Improvement Program budget.
- Provide staff support to a variety of boards and commissions including the presenting of projects and programs at public meetings; attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of engineering.
- Develop and design municipal capital improvement projects relating to traffic, safety, water mains, sewers, streets, traffic signals, streetlighting, parking lots, pavement markings, etc. Calculate the quantity, quality and cost of materials used for various projects.
- Act as resident engineer on capital improvement projects; ensure projects are built according to plans; modify projects on site as needed; measure and maintain records of project quantities; prepare progress reports; and maintain records of changes and field notes.
- Oversee and review the plans of consulting engineers and private contractors; recommend adjustments of engineering designs; ensure compliance with specifications; and applicable Village codes, State and Federal requirements.
- Analyze transportation and traffic engineering problems; recommend improvements or modifications.
- Supervise field data collection crew; review data collection needs including surveys of cross sections, topography, sewer and related projects.
- Coordinate assigned activities with consultants, engineers, developers, contractors, other Village departments and divisions, outside agencies, and the general public; provide consultation and advice on transportation issues and construction projects.
- Assist the Village Engineer in the development and management of the Engineering Division operating budget and the Capital Improvement Program and its budget.
- Prepare progress reports on projects under construction; maintain records of changes and field notes.
- Conduct various transportation and engineering studies and prepare reports.
- Effectively interact with the citizens of the Village of Oak Park in responding to requests for services and enforcement of Village ordinances, when required.
- Act as the Village Engineer as necessary.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
The Assistant Village Engineer/Transportation Engineer will receive general administrative direction from the Village Engineer. The Assistant Village Engineer/Transportation Engineer will exercise direct supervision over professional, technical, and clerical staff of the Transportation Engineering Division and may exercise direct supervision over Capital Engineering Division staff as directed by the Village Engineer including selection, training, motivating and evaluating of engineering personnel.
Compensation, Benefits, Experience and Training
The compensation for this position is $100,000-$135,000 DOQ. This is an exempt, non-union position. Applicants can apply directly using the following link:https://secure.entertimeonline.com/ta/6141780.careers?ApplyToJob=570657088
For more information about this Assistant Village Engineer/Transportation Engineer position or to apply, visit: www.oak-park.us/jobs. Submit applications and resumes by mail to Human Resources, Village of Oak Park, 123 Madison Street, Oak Park, IL, 60302; or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Village of Oak Park offers a highly competitive benefit package that includes a retirement plan, deferred compensation plan, social security, health & life insurance, vacation, sick leave and other benefits. Applications will be accepted until filled.
The Village of Oak Park is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.