SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for an Assistant or Associate Professor with broad Civil Engineering teaching capacity and with technical interests that complement the existing environmental engineering degree program. We encourage candidates with a strong research background in the areas of Structural Engineering or Geotechnical Engineering to apply.
The Civil and Environmental Engineering department delivers a degree in Environmental Engineering and is opening a companion degree in Civil Engineering this year. Successful applicants must be capable of teaching a range of classes in the Civil Engineering curriculum, contributing the program by delivering core civil engineering courses as well as elective courses aligned with the candidates technical expertise.
This position is part of a strategic expansion of the department that will add three to five faculty to the current eight faculty members that comprise the department. The Civil and Environmental Engineering department delivers an innovative, undergraduate project-based-learning curriculum. The expansion of the faculty will be critical to the delivery and growth of the undergraduate Civil Engineering program in our STEM only university.
Applicants must demonstrate the ability to develop a highly successful teaching and research program, attract independent research funding, publish the results of their research studies in leading scientific journals of their discipline, supervise undergraduate students, and to teach effectively for undergraduate level courses. In addition, the candidates are expected to assist in the education mission of the department and to provide whatever academic service is requested by the Chair of the Department.
The appointment will begin on August 15, 2024; appointments as early as January of 2024 will be considered where appropriate.
- Ph.D. in Civil or Environmental Engineering, or a closely related field Associate: Six years of experience as a faculty member or as an independent, post terminal degree researcher.
DESIRED / PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Teaching and/or relevant research/industry experience Demonstrated ability to conduct independent and interdisciplinary funded applied research. Experience in curriculum delivery and development Experience with students’ academic mentoring Experience in program assessment and execution of a continuous improvement plan.
- Active participation in professional activities and organizations.
- Prior professional US experience with progressive responsibility. Professional registration as an engineer, or eligibility for registration, is preferred but optional. Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse campus communities.
- Curriculum development and significant teaching experience at all collegiate levels.
- Funded research experience as a Principal Investigator.
- Demonstrated ability to identify project opportunities and independently develop proposals that are subsequently funded.
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University opened for classes in 2014-15 and is the twelfth university in the Florida State University System. The University was created as an exclusively STEM-focused public university that offers high-value undergraduate and graduate degrees and that has intentional industry connections with a focus on economic development of the high-tech I-4 corridor. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive STEM workforce, Florida Polytechnic University blends traditional subject matter mastery with problem solving and laboratory experiences to provide students with learning opportunities applicable to both the workplace and a career of lifelong learning. The University delivers its courses in small class sizes, emphasizes a positive student to faculty experience, and is dedicated to both its teaching and research mission.
Faculty are employed at Florida Poly via renewable, term defined appointments, codified in a collective bargaining agreement, that substantially mirrors tenure systems with reappointment and progression in rank upon completion of a significant review of accomplishments.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High-Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing by approximately 10% over the past year, Lakeland and Central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format to the Florida Polytechnic Careers Website:
- Cover letter Curriculum Vitae Statement of Research Interests Statement of Teaching Philosophy which includes the individual’s capacity to teach Civil Engineering core and elective courses listed as part of the curriculum. List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information) Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript
Florida Polytechnic University is an equal opportunity/equal access institution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to provide equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to all (including applicants for employment, employees, applicants for admission, students, and others affiliated with the University) without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or genetic information.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.