EBMUD Job Title: Assistant Engineer (Civil - Water Resources Planning)
Salary Info: $130,152 - $158,196 Annually, Plus Excellent Benefits + Retirement
Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, October 23, 2023
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, November 17, 2023
Internal Reference # 23-146
Interested in being part of a diverse, fun, and innovative water agency responsible for providing high quality water for a growing Bay Area community? Do you want to work for a water agency that is serious about sustainably managing water resources and protecting the environment? Are you someone who is energetic and team-oriented with experience in water resources planning? If so, then East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) encourages you to apply for the Assistant Engineer position in the Water Resources Planning Division’s Water Resource Projects Section, which is part of EBMUD’s Water and Natural Resources Department.
The selected candidate will be given opportunities to work on projects that support dam safety, hydroelectric operations, and water supply and drought planning. Candidates will also gain experience in modeling (e.g., HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, RiverWare), complying with statewide regulations, stakeholder engagement, and negotiating agreements and contracts. Specific responsibilities for the Assistant Engineer (Water Resource Projects) may include:
- Developing and using hydrologic/hydraulic simulation computer models to analyze rainfall/runoff as well as closed conduit, open channel, and floodplain flows.
- Performing hydraulic and hydrologic analyses related to dam failure inundation projects.
- Using GIS software to perform analytical tasks to support hydrologic and hydraulic studies.
- Supporting tasks related to FERC license requirements to help ensure compliance, including but not limited to research to gather data and preparation of reports, letters, and memos.
- Preparing reports that include computations, text, charts, sketches, conclusions, and recommendations for engineering projects.
- Presenting project findings and results to management and staff.
- Dam Safety research support in matters related to regulatory requests, which includes performing searches, retrieval, and review of past correspondence and agreements with the Department of Water Resources and FERC, relevant technical studies/documents, and compiling analysis results or findings.
- Regulatory requirement compliance, which includes supporting the implementation of dam safety related recommendations for EBMUD’s dams.
The ideal candidate will provide technical support on hydrology and hydraulics related projects and have experience in: performing rainfall/runoff and 1- and 2-D modeling and analysis under supervision or general direction toward the completion of water resources projects; creating and reviewing technical reports, giving technical presentations, developing GIS work products, have general knowledge of geotechnical concepts related to dams and associated infrastructure; and have an outgoing demeanor working with diverse internal workgroups and external agencies to collect data for evaluation, report development, and solutions development.
As appropriate to the assignment, the ideal candidate will demonstrate proficiency in: oral and written communication; preparing environmental documents and complex reports; engineering analyses for a variety of projects; and have project management skills that include scheduling tasks, monitoring and tracking project progress, and the ability to organize inspections, coordinate participants, handle multiple tasks, and prioritize goals. The ideal candidate will also: prepare or assist in the preparation of requests for proposals (RFP) for consulting services; prepare RFP evaluation criteria and interview proposed bidders to recommend selection of a preferred firm; have the ability to comprehend, review, and provide revision feedback on civil design plans of dams for accuracy; and have the ability to interpret regulatory requirements and apply them.
A bachelor’s degree in an ABET-accredited civil engineering curriculum OR a California EIT Certificate; and two years of civil engineering or closely related experience at a level comparable to or higher than EBMUD’s Junior Engineer classification (subsequent to obtaining the degree). An advanced degree in an accredited engineering curriculum may be substituted for one year of the required years of experience. A valid California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record are required. Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the position including both office and field duties, and maintaining a physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, climbing steep stairs and ladders, or walking for prolonged periods of time; must be willing to work overtime when needed.
Please note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. Contact EBMUD Human Resources for additional questions.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, November 17, 2023. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability
Job Hotline: (510) 287-0735