The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is a part of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in-service support, and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK's continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering some of the most technically complex programmes in defence.
As part of a diverse and inclusive workforce, our team will find a community to belong to - whether that's alongside project teams with a shared vision or as part of an employee network of like-minded individuals. We believe that, by celebrating different backgrounds and different perspectives, together we'll achieve the extraordinary.
The SDA has an exciting career opportunity for an experienced and motivated Structural Engineer to join our team to support some of largest and most complex engineering programmes in the world. You will work at the forefront of marine technology to oversee engineering challenges unique to this industry, whilst contributing to project success and providing support to the Royal Navy.
As a Structural Engineer you will act as the intelligent customer and delegated authority for your area of responsibility whilst working with key suppliers and stakeholders to ensure a safe, fit for purpose submarine is delivered for the Royal Navy. You will be delegated to deliver these activities, providing subject matter expertise and making decisions and recommendations on Complex Problems relating to the structural design.
This role may include supporting SDA teams to provide specialist structural engineering insight to in-build and in-service submarines focusing on early stage detailed design and requirements elicitation. You will lead on key deliverables, interfacing as intelligent customer to our prime contractors to ensure the design and integrity of submarine structures meet contractual requirements.
By joining the SDA, you will have defined progression routes and opportunities to prosper as a professional. There are opportunities for expensed support in your route towards becoming a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and training to stay abreast of emerging technologies can be funded and is readily available via our Engineering Upskilling policy.
This post may be eligible for the NSQEP Recruitment Retention Allowance of up to £12000 per annum. This allowance is discretionary and will be dependent on a candidate's ability to successfully demonstrate the necessary competency, qualifications, and experience to an independent panel of Subject Matter Experts.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only.
* Manage delivery of structural designs as defined in assignment specification or objectives, including managing acquisition safety aspects
* Provide expert advice and guidance to solve complex technical problems and identify application risks relating to design, integrity and assurance of submarine structures
* Manage the technical requirements for the acquisition lifecycle stage of one or more project, programme, service or system
* Monitor and implement any governance and assurance policies and procedures to ensure the ‘safe & professional' status of the area led
* Lead on the development of requirements related structures including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications
* Interface with industry as the intelligent customer, both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks
* Likely to hold Safety responsibilities via delegation
To be successful with your application, you'll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Relevant Level 6 (Degree or higher) qualification or equivalent experience
* Experience of designing structures in a maritime domain
* Experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes within a cross functional engineering team
* Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Decision Making - Practitioner
* Application of Analytical techniques- Practitioner
* Communicating and Influencing
* 25 days' annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King's birthday
* Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
* Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
* Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
* Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
* Support for progression
* Huge range of discounts
* Volunteering days
* Enhanced parental leave schemes
We believe in creating an inclusive environment where our people can grow, thrive, and be their authentic selves. We value diversity of thought and the ways in which it enriches our culture and our work. So whether you're looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break, here you'll find a supportive, family-friendly organisation to be a part of. And if you need any assistance with your application, just let us know