$11,351.95 - $13,537.41/month DOQ/DOE
9/80 Work Schedule
Are you an energetic, forward-thinking professional in the field of engineering and development? Are you a self-starter with exceptional communication skills who excels at working with members of the community and public officials in helping provide a community excellent service? Are you a leader that prioritizes collaboration and employee engagement? If so, the City of Soledad (City) welcomes your application for City Engineer.
Regional Government Services and its staff are conducting the recruitment on behalf of the City of Soledad.
As a valuable member of the Public Works Department, the City Engineer manages the activities of the Engineering division; coordinates projects with City departments, outside agencies, and organizations, which include Capital Improvement Program design, construction and inspection, traffic engineer, and land development engineering.
The City Engineer receives administrative direction form the Public Works and exercises general and direct supervision over management, supervisory, professional, technical, and administrative support staff. The incumbent will also assist in short- and long-term planning, development, and administration with responsibilities that include directing many of the engineering division’s day-to-day administrative functions.
One of the top organizational priorities of the incoming City Engineer includes oversight of the development of a 2200-unit development project. The incoming City Engineer will be a working manager who will oversee both people and projects.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have public engineering and development experience.
- Have experience with municipal engineering.
- Have experience managing capital improvement projects, construction and inspection, and land development.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills, use multiple channels to build transparency, and have writing capabilities to compose reports, correspondence, and other documents, and presentations.
- Communicate in a proactive, approachable, and responsive manner demonstrating understanding of stakeholder interests and needs and commitment to meeting them.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and leverage available resources to provide expert customer support.
- Be analytical and appropriately detail oriented.
- Have demonstrated experience in developing project and program plans.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, partner agencies, and with the public.
About the City
- Accountability - Takes responsibility for the decisions and actions of their teams and direct reports when appropriate
- Analytical Thinking - Identifies diverse solutions to complex problems integrating findings from several different disciplines; identifies and evaluates the various options developed, and selects the most effective solution
- Attention to Detail - Guides the team to accomplish tasks with thoroughness and accuracy
- Collaboration - Fosters staff and stakeholder communication and dialogue; identifies opportunities to building consensus for options, decisions, and outcomes
- Communication - Exchanges information with constituents using oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Customer Service - Continuously searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction
- Influence - Maintains an awareness of organizational goals and objectives while simultaneously navigating solutions towards desired outcomes and preserving relationships
- Judgment - Makes decisions based on careful thought taking both agency goals and input from others into account
- Leadership - Understands formal and informal power and influence structure within the organization and successfully achieves positive, desired outcomes
- Time Management and Organization - Develops contingency plans for potential problems
Soledad is a city in Monterey County with a population of approximately 19,000. Nestled between the beautiful Santa Lucia Mountains to the west and the picturesque Gabilan Mountains to the east, Soledad’s origins started with Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad which was founded in 1791. Development and growth continued its rich history until eventually incorporating as a city in 1921. Today, Soledad is a notable tourist destination, owing to its proximity to Pinnacles National Park, a California Mission, and the Santa Lucia Highlands wine country. Soledad is surrounded by the Salinas Valley’s booming agricultural community, home to fields of lettuce, broccoli, and asparagus, as well as row upon row on some of the finest wine grapes in the state.
The City of Soledad continues to be a model of economic vitality and resilience through the implementation of infrastructure improvements to city parks, roads, schools, and water treatment systems. Renewable energy, water reclamation, and downtown revitalization are at the heart of our mission to provide a sustainable future for our residents, businesses, and visitors.
Since the early 2000’s, the City of Soledad has played a major role in fostering and increasing much-needed units of affordable housing to support the diverse needs of Monterey County’s growing workforce. Since 2015, the city has been working closely with developers to add single family and multi-family housing to areas approved for development before 2008. This housing development boom is increasing economic development opportunities for small businesses, franchise businesses, service providers, medical facilities, entertainment venues, and large retailers who seek to expand to an untapped market.
Examples of Duties
Click here to view the marketing brochure.
Click here to view the City Engineer job description.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in civil engineering or a closely related field
- A minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in civil and municipal engineering with two (2) years of supervisory, management, and/or administrative experience.
- Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid California class C driver’s license with satisfactory driving record
- Registered Professional Civil Engineer license in the State of California
APPLICATION PROCESS AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Applications must be submitted on-line through this applicant tracking system. Materials must be complete and clearly indicate the candidate meets the minimum qualifications. Incomplete, late, emailed, and faxed applications are not accepted. Resumes are not considered in lieu of the required employment application.
Certificates, resumes, and/or cover letters must be uploaded with your application through this applicant tracking system.
All statements made on the application, resume, and supplemental materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for immediate disqualification, removal from eligibility list, or discharge from employment.
The deadline to apply is November 27, 2023, at 11:59 PM PST.
Appraisal Process – (Pass/Fail) After the closing deadline, applications will be screened in relation to the criteria indicated in this announcement.
This process may also include various interviews and/or a skills assessment exam to rank applications, and to prepare a Qualified Candidate List.
Application – Minimum Qualification Assessment - (Pass/Fail) All completed applications and supplemental questionnaires will be reviewed and assessed for each applicant's ability to meet the minimum work experience, training, and education qualifications.
Remote Screen Interview Exam – (Pass/Fail) Candidates who pass the application assessment will be invited to a Remote Screen Interview Examination to evaluate training, experience, and other job-related qualifications for the position. The Remote Screen Interview will be conducted via a video conference platform and is tentatively scheduled for the week of December 4th, 2023.
Successful candidates will be submitted to the City of Soledad for further consideration.
All communication and notices will be sent via e-mail. Additional inquiries about the position may be directed to email@example.com.
Neither Regional Government Services nor the City of Soledad are responsible for failure of internet forms or email in submitting your application. Candidates who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Regional Government Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Soledad is an Equal Opportunity Employer.