Our diverse and inclusive workforce of more than 7,000 employees play a key role in the success of San José, the heart of the Silicon Valley. All City of San José employees work together as one team to make San José a vibrant, innovative, and desirable place to live and work. Visit here to learn more about San José.
About the Department
The City of San José is one of the nation's best-managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. The employees of the City have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect, and Celebration. The City's Public Works Department (PWD) is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees. The Public Works Department is responsible for delivering capital improvement projects for a wide variety of City facilities and infrastructure, maintaining City facilities and fleet assets, facilitating, and regulating development activities, and providing animal care and services. The Department is committed to high-quality service, partnering with the community, and providing an excellent environment in which to work.
The salary range for Senior Engineer is $ 144,296.88 - $ 182,495.04 annually. This amount includes an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable pay. Actual salary shall be determined by the final candidates’ qualifications and experience.
The Public Works Department is currently recruiting to fill Two (2) Senior Engineer positions. One to lead and manage Mechanical and Electrical engineer group and the other one to lead and manage the Civil engineer group in the City Facilities Architectural Services Divisions. However, this recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
City Facilities Architectural Services Division
The Senior Engineer in the City Facilities Architectural Services Division are primarily responsible for coordinating, leading, and directing the delivery of capital improvement projects for a wide variety of City-owned facilities and infrastructure, including libraries, recreational facilities, public safety facilities, and various cultural facilities. These positions require a CA State License, in their respected field, for the signing and stamping of internal City documents. The Senior Mechanical or Electrical Engineer position provides leadership and oversight for a team of mechanical and electrical Engineers that perform project management of electrical, mechanical, and building systems related projects on all city facilities. The Senior Civil Engineer position provides leadership and oversight for a team of civil Engineers that perform project management of various civil engineering related projects on all city facilities, parks and trails.
Key responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Leading, mentoring, and supervising staff by establishing goals, tracking performance, creating a positive work environment, maximizing staff development opportunities, and providing appropriate recognition.
- Providing effective leadership during all phases of the project to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery, as well as engineering expertise and training to staff and other workgroups to resolve complex or technical issues.
- Participating in the development and revision of standard engineering specifications, criteria and policy and procedure statements.
- Managing budget preparation and administration.
- Monitoring budget and controlling expenditures for projects during all phases of the project.
- Coordinating with Senior Staff and Division Analyst in developing project and staffing plans to address workload projections and budget constraints.
- Supervising, reviewing, and approving the preparation and review of designs, plans, calculations, estimates, specifications, and contract documents for construction projects or other related engineering projects prepared by subordinates and consultants. Especially focusing on electrical or mechanical or civil engineering related field.
- Preparing and negotiating conditions of consultant agreements and manages consultant work efforts.
- Providing excellent customer service while coordinating with internal and external City stakeholders.
Additional responsibilities specific to the CFAS MEP Section positions:
- Project management for all phases of capital projects related to electrical engineering field such as electrical utility systems, process control systems, audio-video system, UPS system, Fire Alarm, Security Card System, Generator, Lighting, Solar Panel, Microgrid and Building’s electrical systems.
- Estimates construction cost for budget preparation related with electrical or mechanical engineering field.
Additional responsibilities specific to the CFAS Civil Section positions:
- Project management for all phases of capital projects related to civil engineering field such as review, design, cost estimating and construction management for grading work, storm-water management work, utility related work, slope and landslide stability work, etc.
- Estimates construction cost for budget preparation related with civil engineering field.
- C3 review/design and SWPPP compliance
(These qualifications are typically required. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be substituted.)
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in the required professional engineering discipline and five (5) years of progressively responsible professional engineering experience.
Required Licensing (such as driver’s license, certifications, etc.)
- Certificate of Registration in a relevant professional engineering discipline. All plan reviewer positions in the Building Division require registration as a Civil Engineer or Architect with the State of California.
- Possession of a valid State of California’s driver’s license may be required.
- When assigned to the Planning Division, possession of a valid Building Plan Examiner certification from the International Code Council (ICC) within 6 months of employment.
(Incumbents may be required to have different combinations of the listed qualifications, or more specific job-related qualifications depending on the position.)
Basic Competencies (Needed at entry into the job in order to perform the essential duties).
- Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Analytical Thinking – Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
- Initiative – Exhibits resourceful behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility and challenges; pursues continuing education opportunities that promotes job performance.
- Leadership –Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
- Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Planning - Acts to align own unit's goals with the strategic direction of the organization; Defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
- Project Management - Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives
Additional Competencies and/or Desirable Qualifications
(Competencies, knowledge, skills and abilities that are more position specific and/or likely to contribute to more successful job performance)
- A Master’s degree is highly desirable.
- When assigned to the Fire Department, possession of a valid International Code Council (ICC) certification as a Fire Plans Examiner or Fire Inspector is highly desirable.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the job-specific questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise. You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. If you have questions about the duties of this position, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Chris Caruthers at firstname.lastname@example.org
The application deadline is 11:59 PM on Monday, December 18, 2023. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Per the City’s COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy, the City requires all new hires to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment absent an approved medical or religious exemption. Fully vaccinated means a person has received the following:
- Two doses of the monovalent Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Two doses of the monovalent Moderna COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Two doses of the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the bivalent Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the bivalent Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third party job board application system.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.