East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) Design Division, part of the Engineering and Construction Department, is seeking an Assistant Engineer (Civil/Structural) who is motivated, energetic, a team player, a strong project manager, and experienced with working on civil infrastructure projects. Reporting to a Senior Civil Engineer, the Assistant Engineer is the journey-level engineer position on the EBMUD engineering career ladder.
This position is eligible for a hybrid onsite and telecommuting arrangement based upon terms agreed upon between the employee and supervisor. Work from home may be allowed for specific job duties.
Assistant Engineers in the Design Division’s Civil/Structural Section will be responsible for the following duties and assignments:
• Performing structural analysis and design of reservoirs, pumping plants and other facilities and structures related to storage, transmission, and distribution of water.
• Preparing calculations for design of concrete, steel, wood, and masonry structures based on the California Building Code, and using hand calculations and commercial computer modeling software such as SAP2000 and MathCAD.
• Designing civil and site improvements, including storm water management systems, grading, drainage, landscaping, and other improvements for EBMUD facilities.
• Preparing and reviewing plans, specifications, and cost estimates for developing construction contract documents.
• Preparing structural and seismic assessments of existing water storage, treatment, and transmission facilities, based on ASCE and AWWA standards.
• Preparing reports, recommending conceptual repairs and retrofits, and planning level cost estimates.
• Preparing detailed sketches by hand, CAD software, Revit, AutoCAD or Civil3D software, and communicating design intent to drafting staff.
• Providing design support during construction, reviewing shop-drawing submittals, answering RFIs, preparing design clarifications, and performing special inspections.
• Assisting in the preparation of written reports, correspondence, memoranda for review and approval by others.
• Keeping current on new developments in the engineering field.
• Performing related duties as assigned by the Senior Engineer.
The most competitive candidates for the regular position in the Civil/Structural Section will demonstrate proficiency in: civil and structural analysis, design, and construction support; knowledge of current state seismic and building codes; familiarity with current ACI, AISC, and AWWA codes; water distribution and treatment engineering principles; project planning; oral and written communication skills; experience with producing contract bid documents for water facilities; and static and dynamic structural analysis using finite element software.
The salary range is $10,846 per month increasing to $11,388, $11,957, $12,555, and $13,183 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. Bachelor’s degree in an ABET-accredited civil, structural, or environmental engineering curriculum OR a California EIT Certificate; AND
2. Two years of professional civil or structural engineering experience (subsequent to obtaining the degree), which is equivalent to two years of experience at EBMUD’s Junior Engineer level.
3. Must possess a valid California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
4. Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the position.
5. Must be willing to work overtime as needed.
Please note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. Contact EBMUD Human Resources, Employee Services, at (510) 287-0764 for additional questions.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, December 8, 2023. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability
Job Hotline: (510) 287-0735