The Lyle School of Engineering at Southern Methodist University (SMU) is on an ambitious journey with a remarkable faculty recruitment campaign, opening nearly 20 new faculty positions for academic year 2023-24. Our culture thrives on innovation that transcends traditional boundaries, and we strongly believe in the power of externally funded, industry-supported research to drive progress and provide exceptional students with valuable industry insights. Our mission is to lead the way in digital transformation within engineering education, all while ensuring that every student graduates as a confident leader.
Our ambitious faculty recruitment campaign comprises the establishment of three new Endowed department chairs in Computer Science (CS), Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), and Mechanical Engineering (ME).
Additionally, we are adding six tenured/tenure-track positions aligned with strategic themes such as Sustainable Energy and the Environment, AI-Powered Digital Engineering Systems, and Quantum Science and Engineering. Moreover, we are appointing several faculty Executive Directors to drive strategic initiatives, foster interdisciplinary collaboration, and position our institutes and centers as leaders in technological advancement and innovation. To complete our offerings, we are seeking multiple cross-disciplinary renewable-contract (Non Tenure-Track) Assistant and Associate professors. As we anticipate further growth, SMU Lyle remains committed to ongoing recruitment in the coming years, with department chairs playing a pivotal role in shaping and leading these essential hires in alignment with departmental and institutional strategies. Explore all these positions, along with brief descriptions, on our dedicated website at: https://www.smu.edu/Lyle/Departments/Faculty-Openings
Department Chair Positions:
Our faculty recruitment campaign comprises the establishment of three new Endowed department chairs in Computer Science (CS), Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), and Mechanical Engineering (ME).
- Full Professor and Endowed Department Chair of Computer Science
- Full Professor and Endowed Department Chair of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Full Professor and Endowed Department Chair of Mechanical Engineering
Center and Institute Directors:
Embarking on an ambitious faculty recruitment campaign, we are actively expanding our faculty team. SMU Lyle is in the midst of an exciting faculty recruitment drive, with a focus on hiring Executive Directors to lead our institutes and centers. These leaders will drive strategic initiatives, foster interdisciplinary collaboration, and elevate our institutes and centers to the forefront of technological innovation. These roles go beyond academia, empowering students and researchers to transform ideas into real-world innovations.
- Endowed Associate/Full Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Executive Director for Research Innovation in the Center for Digital and Human-Augmented Manufacturing
- Endowed Associate/Full Professor and Executive Director of the Hart Center for Leadership in Lyle School of Engineering
- Endowed Co-Executive Director of the Hart Institute for Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Inaugural Walden and Paula Rhines Endowed Quantum Informatics Associate/Full Professor in Computer Science or Electrical & Computer Engineering
Collaboration-Based Tenured/Tenure-Track Positions:
To enhance our ability to build large interdisciplinary research teams, our approach is to strategically recruit across departments based on thematic alignment rather than focusing solely on specialization within each department. Tenure appointments within individual departments, including joint appointments, will be carefully tailored to match the backgrounds and interests of the selected candidates across Lyle's five distinguished departments. Furthermore, we are open to exploring potential joint appointments within Lyle or in collaboration with other SMU schools and colleges.
- Tenure-Track and Tenured Faculty Positions in Sustainable Energy and Environment
- Tenure-Track and Tenured Faculty Positions in AI Powered Digital Engineering Systems
- Tenure-Track and Tenured Faculty Positions in Quantum Science and Engineering
- Tenure-Track/Tenured Faculty Position in Data Science Cluster in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Non-Tenure Track Renewable-Contract Positions
- Renewable-Contract Faculty positions in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Renewable-Contract Faculty positions in Computer Science
- Renewable-Contract Faculty positions in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Renewable-Contract Faculty positions in Mechanical Engineering
- Renewable-Contract Faculty positions in Operations Research and Engineering Management