As a Geotechnical Engineering Intern at Gessner Engineering, you will assist the Geotechnical Department in their daily operations on a variety of projects. Your specific responsibilities are commiserated with experience and the expected learning outcomes.
- Occasionally perform site visits to collect project data or determine site access for drilling.
- Assist drillers during the drilling process
- Assisting lab crew with performing lab testing.
- Writing Gessner Scoping Narrative (GSN) documents for preliminary project information
- Perform design and analysis for a variety of projects including residential, commercial, and higher education. Analysis will include shallow bearing capacities, swell potential, recommended pavement cross sections based on AASHTO and/or ACI, pier bearing capacities (straight sided, ACIP, belled), settlement potential, equivalent horizontal earth pressures.
- Collaborate with peers to review and request or provide guidance on appropriate project directions.
- Collaborate in a team setting with department members and other design disciplines such as civil, structural, construction material testing, survey, and external sub-consultants and clients, as necessary, for project coordination.
- Provide regular project updates and a forecast of obstacles to a supervising project manager
- Manage time effectively and efficiently with minimal oversight
- Bachelor of Science or Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering or Civil Engineering
- with Geotechnical focus.
Skills and special requirements/licensing:
- Registered E.I.T. in the state of Texas or the ability to become registered
- Be solutions minded. Always find a way to be part of the solution.
- Be collaborative. Must have a positive attitude, work well with co-workers and clients.
- Take initiative. Seek out every opportunity to do and to learn
- Must be able to work 20 hours a week during the school semester
Gessner Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected status or characteristic. Race/Color/Gender/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Veteran.