Job Title: Principal Structural Engineer - Maritime
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire
Package: Highly Competitive Salary + Benefits Package
Role Type: Full time
Role ID: SF16002
Be part of the QinetiQ journey. An opportunity has arisen for an experienced senior FEA engineer with a maritime structural background to provide leadership and developmental support to an established engineering team delivering into the maritime defence sector.
The role requires an experienced technical lead with a track record of delivering both Metallic and composite FEA into maritime projects, experience of subsurface and defence platform design is advantages but not essential.The role
As an engineering leader the successful Principal Structural Engineer would be responsible for guiding a mixed discipline team to enable the delivery of a large multi-year high profile design project that includes; composite design and advanced composite analysis, metallic structural design, the design of composite to metallic joints and the development and delivery of the supporting validation strategy appropriate to a project of this nature within the Maritime defences sector.
As the Principal engineer you will:
- Provide effective leadership and coordination of the engineering and technical activities to deliver programmes of work.
- Act as a Principal Engineer, combining subject matter expertise and sound engineering judgement to solve problems.
- Work with the Project Management community to task and control work conducted by technical teams. Manage the project/programme to undertake the work within the agreed quality, timescale and budget.
- Use your skills and knowledge to develop the capabilities in the areas you are working in. Mentor others to improve the knowledge of your areas of expertise within the wider engineering and technical communities.
- Use opportunities with partner organisations and other parties to identify and then develop joint technical approaches and methods to expand our combined offering so that we can deliver greater value to our customers. This will include supporting the Business Development and Sales strategy. Give technical presentations and talk knowledgably about the work conducted in external forums, including conferences and in customer meetings. Safety. Ensure projects/programmes you are responsible for are conducted in a safe manner, highlighting hazards and potentially unsafe practices and providing potential options to reduce the risk so that it is as low as responsibly practicable.
- Ensure that Governance is applied consistently across the technical programmes where you are involved. Act as a peer or independent reviewer for other projects or programmes of work where suitable.
As a Principal Structural Engineer, you will be able to work on a Hybrid working model if preferred. You will also have flexibility around working hours.Essential experience of the Principal Structural Engineer
The Principal Structural Engineer should have significant experience working with Structures, this does not specifically be have to be in the Maritime domain.Qualifications for the Principal Structural Engineer
We value difference and we don't have a fixed idea when it comes to background or education, provided you can show the required level of experience and willingness to learn then we would like to hear from you.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance, as a minimum.Why Join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation, courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You'll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you'll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You'll receive highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what's happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.About QinetiQ
As a company of over six thousand dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.