*This position may be eligible for a hiring bonus for the successful candidate*
This position requires an individual that is self-motivated, detailed oriented and has a passion to see the state of Wyoming by traveling and exploring extensively. This position is responsible for ensuring the safety of Wyoming's many dams and diversion structures while providing customer service and education to the constitutes of the great state. The candidate selected for this position may reside or be willing to relocate to Cheyenne, Torrington, Sheridan, Riverton or Cokeville, Wyoming.
The State of Wyoming's total compensation package is excellent and includes:
- Paid annual and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Retirement with employer contributions
- Deferred Compensation Plan with employer contributions
- Health insurance with an employer contribution toward premiums
- Insurance options for health, dental, life, vision, ambulance, short and long-term disability
- Longevity pay
- Flexible Work Schedules
Human Resource Contact: Kelly Joppa / 307-777-6036 / email@example.com
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Work with many different levels of federal, state, and local governments, as well as private dam owners with respect to all aspects of dam safety. Including, but not limited to, Emergency Action Plan (EAP) development, inundation mapping, and emergency response planning.
- Review plans and specifications for new dam construction, modifications, repair, and rehabilitation of existing dams and diversions using generally accepted engineering practices.
- Periodically inspect all dams within the state that have been classified as high or significant hazard potential. Assist with periodic inspections of low hazard potential dams by coordinating with owners and State Engineer field staff.
- Prepare inspection reports and correspondence to the owners of the above mentioned dams detailing deficiencies and recommendations for action or repair.
- Participate in educational outreach with dam owners, operators, engineers, and the general public by holding workshops, seminars, or field inspections and demonstrations.
- Assist with federally provided state assistance grant to further promote training, education, and purchasing of needed equipment to further develop the dam safety program.
- Operates State issued vehicles equipped with monitored GPS for frequent travel.
- Works a varied schedule that may include overtime and weekends.
- Respond to dam emergencies.
- Attend National conferences and trainings.
Preference will be given to individuals with experience in geotechnical, hydraulic, or structural engineering and/or at least two years of experience working with dam design, construction, and inspection.
- Practical knowledge of engineering principles and practices primarily in the disciplines of hydraulics, hydrology, structural and geotechnical engineering.
- Familiarity with water law, surveying, flood modeling, slope stability analysis, Graphical Information Systems (GIS), and construction practices.
- Ability to communicate in writing and verbally with dam owners, regulators, engineers, and the general public on many different levels.
Education: Bachelor's Degree (in Engineering)
Experience: 2-4 years of progressive work experience (in Engineering) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Project Engineer
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Professional Engineer's (PE) License Required at time of hire - (Wyoming PE required within six months of hire date.)
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Ability to safely walk on uneven surfaces, navigate heights, and to enter confined spaces in order to complete inspections.
Encounters with snakes, spiders, mice, etc.
Overnight travel is required.
Long distance walking and use of All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) is required.
- FLSA: Exempt
- This position may be eligible for a hiring bonus for the successful candidate
Supplemental Information: 037-State Engineer's Office - Surface Water Division.
Visit us online at seo.wyo.gov
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure. URL: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
Additional Salary Information: The State of Wyoming's total compensation package is excellent and includes: Paid annual and sick leave Paid holidays Retirement with employer contributions Deferred Compensation Plan with employer contributions Health insurance with an employer contribution toward premiums Insurance options for health, dental, life, vision, ambulance, short and long-term disability Longevity pay Flexible Work Schedules Transparent Information Regarding Benefits: https://ai.wyo.gov/for-job-seekers/benefits
Internal Number: ENEG12-2023-02111