As a deep tech scale-up engineering company our client's mission is to dramatically reduce the cost of tunnelling, allowing global demand for increased, yet more sustainable transportation solutions, to be met.
They have assembled a dynamic team with expertise in wide ranging areas such as aeronautics, motorsport and geophysics alongside tunnelling experts. We are helping to grow this team and are looking for individuals who have the drive and passion to develop cutting edge solutions, with inventive, fast paced thinking, who can bring fresh perspectives to our product development.
This role offers a truly exciting opportunity in a friendly and collaborative environment. People are our client's most valuable asset. They look after them and we champion diversity.
Benefits - pension, healthcare, bonus and shares
We have built the world's first underground structure constructed entirely by a small fleet of robots. You will be part of a strong team taking the prototype system to production. You will take the lessons learnt from the first robot tunnel build and combine it with your expertise to develop the next generation of robotic toolsets. You will use your experience and knowledge to shape the product and solution roadmap. If you are looking for a role with high levels of autonomy where your day-to-day work will have significant impact and visibility, then you will thrive here.
The commercial platform will be able to monitor and maintain, repair, enlarge existing tunnels and build new tunnels. Utilising state of the art technology for underground survey, developing innovative chemistries for underground 3d printing with significantly reduced carbon footprint. Building kilometres of tunnel in months rather than years by using a swarm of 1000's of robots all operating silently under the ground with minimal impact to the surrounding environment. Artificial intelligence and machine learning will be used through all levels of the system from intelligent motion control and toolsets to optimisation simulations that are used to optimise the fleet across contracts. At the centre of the system will be a digital twin; the central hub for running and visualising the simulation, as well as monitoring and optimising the actual contract as it progresses. You will have the opportunity to work closely with experts in these fields to grow your knowledge and understanding of these technologies.
* Understanding of material testing principals relating to soil, rocks, and man-made composites, extending to relevant ASTM/BS testing standards. Must be able to conduct such testing with the use of the company's own geotechnical testing laboratory and do so appreciating practical limitations.
* Understanding and experience in geotechnical investigation methods and theory, with a confidence to adapt these where necessary to emerging technology
* Understanding and experience in geotechnical design and theory, with a confidence to adapt these where necessary to emerging technology, while navigating typical design requirements of the civil construction industry.
* Data analysis and insight generation. The company's process results in potentially large swathes of process data pertaining to their construction processes. It is desirable that senior engineers demonstrate the ability to investigate, analyse and command appropriate insights from such data, therein informing design, process and construction decisions. Comprehension of statistical methods is favourable.
* Generation and support of geotechnical testing schedules and programmes.
* work in a safe and ethical manner and demonstrate adherence to relevant industry standards and codes of practice
* keep up with new and relevant technologies by conducting research to identify and apply new systems, innovations and processes to drive quality, efficiency and save costs
* suggest and lead multidiscipline projects and plan effectively to ensure projects are delivered on time, to standard and to budget
* consult and collaborate with colleagues to ensure that designs are feasible
* record, process and evaluate testing data, altering designs as necessary to bring them to relevant safety, performance, and efficiency standards
Essential Knowledge, skills and experience required:
* Masters Degree or higher, or proven academic track record
* 5 years minimum experience in similar environment with demonstrable high achievement
* Finite Element simulation of civil and/or geotechnical with an industry standard tool such as Plaxis
* Ability to project manage your own delivery to meet defined objectives
* Strong report writing skills
* Strong awareness of industry standards and governance and designing to meet requirements.
* Specifying test regimes and design of test equipment
* Ability to present technically to board level
Desired Knowledge, skills and experience
* Experience of chemistry based geotechnical solutions such as compensation grouting
* Commercial awareness
* Experience of managing and mentoring junior engineers
Type of person
* Driven and tenacious
* Strong quality focus, tempered with pragmatic approach to achieve business outcomes
* Innovative problem solver
* Details driven and happy to role up your sleeves to drive a solution to a successful outcome
* Flexible approach and keen to learn new skills
* Keen to learn with the business as we progress through the technology roadmap