Job Title Construction EngineerInsideIR35Contract Term: 6-monthContracting Authority: MoDLocation: Andover 1 day in office other days site visits and WFHActive SC level of clearance essential
The Ministry of Defence (MOD) is a central government department with a mission to protect our country and provide the ultimate guarantee of its security and independence, as well as helping to protect its values and interests abroad.
To do this we have an annual budget of almost £40 billion and a workforce comprising 193,000 people, almost 59,000 of whom are civilians. We currently manage more than £11 billion of spend every year.
Our work really matters; we offer engaging roles which have a direct impact on the quality of services we provide. We employ people in many different roles and in many locations across the UK and abroad. We have jobs in policy, finance, HR, IS/IT, commercial and project management and all the types of jobs you would expect to find in a government department, or indeed in the private sector. We also employ doctors, dentists, teachers, police, fire service, quantity surveyors, and engineers to name a few. There are many opportunities to develop and progress both within MOD and across the wider Civil Service, whether you're a permanent appointee or an interim.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) as an Infrastructure Expert within the Construction Innovation Team. DIO plays a crucial role in supporting the delivery of Future Defence Infrastructure design criteria for maintenance services and new construction projects on the Defence Estate. The role presents a dynamic environment where your technical expertise will contribute to key infrastructure upgrades, sustainability initiatives, and innovation projects.As a Construction Engineer, your main responsibilities will be:
If this role sounds like something that you would be interested in, please click the link to apply or get in touch with Disability confident
- Develop requirements and solutions in collaboration with key customer teams.
- Review technical submissions from suppliers.
- Monitor the delivery of construction and infrastructure work, ensuring adherence to Building Performance Standards (BPS).
- Provide support to capital project leads in addressing issues related to BPS, Whole Life Cost, Net Zero, and Innovation.
- Act as the project owner for higher value and complex projects, ensuring accountability for successful project delivery.
- Support pricing and procurement of large contracts to align with strategic objectives.
- Key Competencies:
- Strong technical knowledge and skills in infrastructure design and construction.
- Experience in project and contract management.
- Ability to collaborate with customers, suppliers, and consultancies.
- Knowledge of Whole Life Cost principles and Net Zero Carbon considerations.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and agility in implementing solutions.
- Strong communication skills for effective team collaboration.
- Technical Support:
- Provide technical guidance and support to wider teams on Building and Civil Engineering infrastructure.
- Contribute to a culture of team development and continuous improvement through knowledge sharing.
- Contract Compliance and Assurance:
- Undertake compliance reviews of BPS works, deviations, and innovations.
- Report findings and make recommendations for statutory and mandatory compliance as well as operational capability.
- Plan, undertake, and report on programmed and reactive assurance checks, contributing to continuous improvement.
- Bachelor's degree (BSc/BEng) in Construction, Construction Management, Civil/Structural Engineering, Chartered Surveyor, or a related built environment engineering subject relevant to the maintenance of the MOD estate.
- Substantial, relevant, and recent experience in a Construction, Civil/Structural, or Building Surveying related discipline.
- Membership of a relevant professional body such as MCIOB, MRICS,
- Property-related Professional Qualification (RICS, IEng, or CEng)
- SC Cleared
- Engineering background within construction
- Chartered engineer within civil or structural
- Knowledge of building regulations
- Design management experience
As a member of the disability confident scheme, MOD guarantees to interview all candidates who have a disability and who meet all the essential criteria for the vacancy. In cases where we have a high volume of candidates who have a disability who meet all the essential criteria, we will interview the best candidates from within that group.If you qualify for the above, please notify us on . We will be in touch to discuss your suitability and arrange your Guaranteed Interview.Should you require reasonable adjustments at any point during the recruitment process or if there is a more accessible way for us to communicate, please do let me know.
In applying for this role, you acknowledge the following, this role falls in scope of the Off Payroll Working in the Public Sector legislation. Any rates of payment quoted will reflect the gross rate per day for the assignment and will be subject to appropriate taxes and statutory costs. As such the payment to the intermediary and your income resulting from this contract will be different.
Please be aware that this role can only be worked within the UK and not Overseas.