Job title: Senior Engineer - Structural Engineering (Hull & Outfit)
Location: Barrow-In Furness (Hybrid working available - minimum 2 days on site per week)
We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role.
What you'll be doing:
• Designing submarine structures by calculation to ensure they meet the required load cases and safety factors
• Analysing submarine structures through Finite Element Analysis
• Working alongside other engineering disciplines to deliver integrated system solutions
• Gathering evidence to demonstrate compliance of these solutions with safety, function, and performance requirements
• Authoring and reviewing design and analysis reports
• Responding to build issues through collaboration with Operations and Construction Engineering
• Presenting work to design review panels and key stakeholders
Your skills and experiences:
• Degree or equivalent experience in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline
• Analytical structural calculation skills
• Demonstrable Structural Engineering experience
• Submarine or Shipbuilding structural design/analysis experience
• Finite Element Analysis (FEA) knowledge
• Welding/Non Destructive Examination (NDE) knowledge
You'll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You'll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts - you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Hull Mechanics team:
The Hull Mechanics team are responsible for a wide range of structural equipment such as watertight doors, pressure hull access and structural fittings throughout the boats programme. Exciting opportunities to work on in build programmes for Astute and Dreadnought as well as the upcoming design and structural analysis work for SSN-AUKUS. There are opportunities to learn and grow within this role and Chartership is encouraged and supported throughout.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you'll be able to make a real difference. You'll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you'll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments."
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.
Closing Date: 8th December 2023
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.