Due to a sustained increase in work, we are looking to recruit a Civil or Structural Engineer who has in interest in working with historic structures and buildings.
Our client is a well-established consulting engineering practice specialising in building conservation. The head office is in Appleby in Cumbria, with a second office in Liverpool. There are four engineers in the practice, two of whom are CARE accredited. There would be an opportunity for the person joining the practice to also become CARE accredited.
The practice's project base includes new work and repairs to cathedrals, bridges, scheduled monuments, churches, castles and listed buildings located throughout the North of England, North Wales and Southern Scotland. Some example projects include recently completed work on the Dunston Staiths in Gateshead, Backbarrow Ironworks in Cumbria, Seaton Delaval Hall in Northumberland and Bennerley Viaduct in Nottinghamshire, all of which are of national importance.
Work also included two conversions of churches to residential accommodation, the Chinese Pavilion at the Royal Horticultural Society's Bridgewater site, Shildon Coal Drops in County Durham and Wrexham Football Museum. Our client is also involved in providing conservation consultancy on Whorlton Bridge over the Tees and Temple Mill in Leeds.
* Assist in investigating defects in historic structures and buildings.
* Work on the structural design of new interventions in historic structures.
* Liaise with established conservation architects on projects.
* Be Chartered (ICE or IStructE) or near Chartered.
* At least 4 years PQE.
* Experience or interest working with Historic buildings.
* Attention to detail and diligent approach to work.
* Experience of Vector works.
* Fluent in report writing.
* Be familiar with design principles and Eurocodes, in all main structural materials.
* Hybrid working with three days in the office and two days from home or on site.
* 23 days holiday + bank holidays.
* In addition, office closes between Christmas and New Year.
* Pension scheme.
* Milage allowance.
* Chartership membership fees paid.
* Expenses when traveling to site.
As this is a permanent post ambition to progress within this specialist field is expected, for which we provide training and CPD. This is a fantastic and unique opportunity for someone with an interest in working with historic buildings of importance