Cluster hire of Tenure Track Faculty in Urban Science and Engineering
The New York University (NYU) Tandon School of Engineering invites applications for a cluster of tenure-track faculty positions to start in Fall 2020 at the rank of Assistant Professor. The focus of these positions is urban science and engineering, with each position a joint appointment between two of the following units: the Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP), Civil and Urban Engineering (CUE), Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), and Technology, Culture and Society (TCS). We seek candidates interested in fostering a highly interdisciplinary and collaborative environment for teaching and research, who can contribute to methods and foundational knowledge in their disciplines with a strong focus on high-impact urban applications.
Areas of interest include but are not limited to work at the intersection between urban and:
- Data science, data management, visualization, machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Security, resiliency and privacy of cyber physical systems and networks
- Ubiquitous sensing, connectivity and networking, including the Internet of Things
- Infrastructure, structural, and environmental health monitoring; and construction automation
- Cyber-physical and socio-technical systems, including smart energy and intelligent transportation systems
- Human computer interaction, service, and user experience design
- Data and technology for governance, sustainability, the environment, resilience, mobility and civic engagement
NYU is one of the top private universities in the United States. We have an illustrious past as Brooklyn Poly and NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering. Our mission is to excel in research, teaching and entrepreneurship. We aim to inspire and educate engineers for the 21st century. We are committed to quality, integrity, and respect for each other. We take pride in our high numbers of women students and students who are the first in their family to go to college. We seek faculty who have a real passion for a culturally diverse environment. Tandon belongs to the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC), which assists with dual-career searches.
NYU Tandon fosters innovation and entrepreneurship that make a difference in the world:
- Our faculty and students are part of the high-tech start-up culture in New York City (NYC) and in downtown Brooklyn.
- We support four “future lab” business incubators that connect our students and faculty to today’s innovation economy.
- We collaborate closely with other universities throughout NYC.
- We maintain strong partnerships with NYC and state governments and with industry and corporate communities.
With NYU's unrivaled global network of campuses, we promote a truly global engineering education. We are deeply committed to teaching and learning. We lead and have ties to multidisciplinary centers in 5G wireless technology, smart mobility, cybersecurity, urban informatics, data sciences, technology and governance, and the social implications of artificial intelligence, among others.
Applicants should have a Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline, including in engineering, computer science, or the applied sciences. We seek individuals who have, or have the potential to develop, a strong record of scholarship, leadership, curricular innovation, entrepreneurship, and an excellent funding record. Applicants should demonstrate mastery in core disciplinary knowledge, an ability to bridge the intersection of STEM and urban science, and potential for excellence in research, teaching and mentoring.
Applicants should submit:
- Cover letter
- Current CV
- Research statement
- Teaching statement
- Diversity statement
- Recent teaching evaluations (if available)
- Names and contact information for three references
The deadline for submitting applications is December 2, 2019. We will start reviewing applications immediately after, and will continue until we fill the position.