Structural Engineering Intern (Civil)
This is a unique opportunity for an inquisitive, self-motivated Civil Engineering Student to make a positive impact on Sarasota County. Sarasota County Government is seeking an intern in Public Works to assist with Bridge Asset Management. Sarasota County owns over 100 bridges and over 200 mast arms which must be inspected and maintained. At the direction of the Senior Structures Engineer, the intern will assist with field inspections, inventories, plan reviews, structural calculations, writing of reports and more.
Join Sarasota County and gain experience in Civil/Structural Engineering.
- A presentation to the County Administrator and other County Leadership staff is required at the close of the internship program.
- Participation in organized intern events.
Duties: Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist Senior Structures Engineer field inspections, inventories, plan reviews, structural calculations, writing of reports and more
- Process data using Excel
- Assist with written reports
- Respond to citizen requests (with direction from senior engineers)
- Ideal competencies for this position include: interest in structural engineering; experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint; AutoCAD; MathCAD; accurate and detailed; good written and oral communication skills; flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced atmosphere; creative problem-solving skills.
- Other duties and/or special projects as assigned.
- These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.
Specific knowledge, skills, abilities and/or machines, equipment, special tools as required for the job:
- Interest in structural engineering;
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint; AutoCAD; MathCAD
- Accurate and detailed;
- Good written and oral communication skills;
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced atmosphere;
- Creative problem-solving skills
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Must be currently enrolled in a college/university, seeking a Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering (B.S.C.E.)
- Candidates pursuing a B.S.C.E. and having completed their second year of university