Design Build/Preconstruction Coordinator - Federal Division
This position is responsible for assisting in the coordination of the interface between the Designer’s Discipline Leads and the Construction Team during the Preconstruction (procurement proposal and design) and post-design services phases of an Alternative Procurement Delivery Method (APDM) Project to reduce construction scope, manage risk, and manage engineering budgets. APDM includes Design-Build (DB), Construction Manager/General Construction (CMGC), Construction Management At Risk (CMAR), General Contractor/Construction Manager (GCCM) and Public Private Partnerships (P3).
Essential Job Accountabilities
1. Assist in determining that project scope meets the project’s prime contract documents, schedule, design criteria, applicable codes, budget and agreements with designer (including design schedule and design budget) to ensure adequate preparation for efficient execution throughout all phases of the project.
2. Assist the Pursuit Manager during the preconstruction procurement phase of the project with development of estimating deliverables to ensure budgets and schedules are met
3. Assist the Pursuit Manager in evaluating options for construction and design alternatives during the preconstruction phase to reduce construction scope and risk.
4. Assist the Project Manager or Senior Preconstruction coordinator with the coordination of constructability reviews, development, and approval of design improvements through the use of task force processes to improve constructability, and reduce construction scope and project risks.
5. Perform and coordinate quantity take-offs as necessary to monitor scope growth, impact of design changes, and final quantities to ensure project profitability
6. Assist in the coordination and tracking between the Designer, Quality, and Construction teams to insure that shop drawing reviews, design variations, information requests and non-conformance resolution are completed in a cost effective and timely manner.
• BS degree required, Civil Engineering or Construction Management preferred
• 5+ years’ experience in the heavy civil construction field preferred
• Previous experience on a Large Project or APDM (DB, CMGC/CMAR, P3) project preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Familiarity with CAD and Modeling Software (such as Microstation, Geopak, Inroads, HEC RAS, etc.)
• Knowledge of construction operations
• Strong quantity take-off skills
• Estimating skills sufficient to allow comparison pricing of design alternatives at a conceptual stage
• Basic knowledge of the Cost and CPM Scheduling Systems
• Strong written and oral communication skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate orally. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Subject to outside working conditions. At times will be working around large construction equipment, must be safety conscience.
• Ability and willingness to abide by the Company’s Code of Conduct on a daily basis
• Valid driver’s license and ability to drive for extended periods of time
• Extensive overnight travel required