Road and Field Engineering Manager
The County of San Diego Department of Public Works (DPW) is seeking applications and résumés from a highly motivated and experienced leader to manage and oversee the Roads Maintenance Crews and Field Engineering Section of DPW’s Transportation Division.
The ideal candidate will possess a professional history that demonstrates the following experience and leadership competencies and attributes:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high profile, and demanding environment
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and outcome-based performance management
- Ability to build, lead, and motivate high performing teams to be accountable; support concurrent complex projects; initiate change; and reach challenging goals
- Organizational and political awareness of issues, and ability to build consensus and clearly communicate with stakeholders at all levels, verbally and in writing
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations to department heads, elected officials, and executives with outside agencies. Ability to effectively support County executives in presenting clear and applicable information to diverse stakeholders
- Experience in a public agency or related private organization with project management, engineering design, construction, and maintenance operations for public roads and drainage systems; broad knowledge of standard practices and industry standards for public works transportation projects; and contract development and administration experience related to public works transportation activities and operations
- Provide overall leadership and oversight of a large field crew and field engineering team to ensure a customer service-oriented management philosophy which transcends to the entire team
- Experience establishing, monitoring, and tracking program budgets and schedules; preparing recommendations and reports related to transportation engineering maintenance programs; monitoring and implementing timely maintenance plans; and developing, tracking, planning, procuring, and negotiating consultant services and task orders
- Knowledge of the State of California and local storm water regulations and permits related to public works transportation projects
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess current registration as a State of California Professional Engineer (Civil Engineer and/or Traffic Engineer).
Applicants must possess the following:
A bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university or certified foreign studies equivalency AND five (5) years of experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the classification which must include at least two (2) years of management or supervision; OR a combination of experience and/or education as stated above.
Notes: A master's degree or higher degree may substitute for a total of one year of experience and cannot be applied to the required one year of supervision. Qualifying experience will include CAO Staff Officer or Project Manager experience that involves leading projects.