Senior Engineer - River Operations
This Senior Engineer position will work on complex hydrologic, hydraulic, reservoir and water resources analyses in support of the LCRA River Operations Center. This position will be primarily focused on support of flood operations, but will also support water supply operations and safety of dams as needed. This position will develop and calibrate complex hydrology and hydraulics (H&H) models of the Colorado River basin; develop procedures to support real-time flood forecasting and reservoir operations; plan and conduct training, emergency management drills and tabletop exercises to maintain overall readiness of LCRA staff and external partners for flood emergencies, and; perform real-time forecasting for the LCRA River Operations Center during floods.
Plans, conducts, and directs major engineering projects involving independent evaluation, selection, adaptation, and modification of standards, techniques, procedures, and criteria. May act as project leader or team leader to coordinate the work of other fully competent engineers or other technical personnel on more complex or major engineering projects and or studies. Provides deep specialized expertise in at least one engineering sub-discipline.
- Conducts and takes full responsibility for complex engineering studies which require advanced knowledge within the assigned discipline. Performs field analysis, performance tests, designs, costs estimates, layout of drafting work, and the correlation/compilation of complex data. May direct or coordinate the work of other engineers, technicians, craft workers, or others.
- Provides coordination, monitors progress, interprets results to ensure timely completion of assignments.
- Recommends new and improved practices and procedures related to assigned area.
- Represents and provides leadership for the LCRA to task forces, the community and other outside engineering and standards organizations.
- Identifies actual or potential problems, investigates, analyzes, and develops corrective actions to be taken. Drafts reports. Acts as project consultant and specialist.
- Conducts tests of instruments, materials, equipment, and controls to determine operating characteristics. Develops problem solutions or improvements. Verifies accuracy of data. Ensures beneficial data is acquired and recorded.
- Prepares and revises operating procedures and project outlines in connection with engineering assignments. Follows appropriate business procedures. Applies project management techniques.
- Plans and designs engineering projects with complex features. Performs engineering and design work. Conducts field analysis, inspections and performance tests. Records, compiles, and reports information. Develops testing plans. Interprets engineering specifications.
- Drafts specifications as required for projects for which there are few precedents. Completes related computations and drafts schematics and diagrams. Develops testing plans; interprets engineering specifications.
- Coordinates project reviews and implementation plans between individuals and sections. Ensures timely communications occur. Develops and administers presentations to management and others.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of engineering principles, LCRA procedures, equipment, and systems. Keeps informed of technical developments, industry codes and safety and/or regulatory requirements which have impact upon the respective engineering discipline.
- Provides leadership in the economic evaluations of programs and projects and renders judgment on the costs and benefits of the work from a company-wide perspective.
- Interprets engineering drawings and manufacturers specifications for field personnel. Coordinates and reviews the work of Engineering Associates to the extent of assuming professional responsibility for the work. Personally affixes seal or communicates necessary changes to the responsible engineer for correction.
- Upon request, prepares written (expert) testimony in support of LCRA's position in legal or regulatory proceedings.
- Develops design criteria and LCRA design standards.
- Reviews operational processes and procedures and develops recommendations to optimize.
- Gathers engineering information by traveling independently to various locations (substations, power plants, water systems, etc.) as necessary.
- In accordance with approved Supply Management processes and procedures, serves as owner’s representative for outside engineering contracts.
- May provide leadership for major or complex engineering and construction projects and or studies. May be the resident specialist in a particular discipline or operations area.
- May perform confined space entry.
- For incumbents performing as a Cyber Security Coordinator (CSC) – A CSC is responsible for the following: working with the NERC Compliance Department and Information Security Office to ensure that the necessary processes and procedures applicable to each NERC CIP system are developed and implemented within their respective group; reviewing projects relating to the NERC CIP systems which may have a regulatory impact, and making sure the drawings and documents for that system are updated and stored as required; coordinating NERC compliance implementation, communication, and ensuring that users of the respective systems have the necessary training; continually monitoring implementation efforts and reporting potential violations to the NERC Compliance Manager and respective management; communicating with the Information Security Manager concerning cyber security concerns or actual incidents; and maintaining documentation of objective evidence, including Reliability Standard Audit Worksheets (RSAWs) to demonstrate NERC CIP regulatory compliance.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Texas
- Plus eight or more years of post-Bachelors engineering experience relating to the area of engineering specialization required to perform the job, including providing technical leadership in engineering.
- Driver’s license
- Experience with the development and calibration of HEC-HMS for flood forecasting.
- Experience with scripting.