NRC Research Associateship Programs Graduate, Postdoctoral, and Senior Research Awards
The National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine administers postdoctoral and senior research awards at participating federal laboratories and affiliated institutions at locations throughout the U.S and abroad.
We are actively seeking highly qualified candidates including recent doctoral recipients and senior researchers.
Application deadline dates (four annual review cycles):
- February 1
- May 1
- August 1
- November 1
- Conduct independent research in an area compatible with the interests of the sponsoring laboratory
- Devote full-time effort to research and publication
- Access the excellent and often unique facilities of the federal research enterprise
- Collaborate with leading scientists and engineers at the sponsoring laboratories
- One-year award, renewable for up to three years
- Stipend ranging from $45,000 to $83,000; may be higher based on experience
- Health insurance (including dental and vision), relocation benefits, and professional travel allowance
Applicants should contact prospective Research Adviser(s) at the lab(s) prior to the application deadline to discuss their research interests and funding opportunities.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants should hold, or anticipate receiving, an earned doctorate in science or engineering. Awards are contingent upon completion of the doctoral degree. A limited number of opportunities in select fields are also available for graduate students. Degrees from universities abroad should be equivalent in training and research experience to a degree from a U.S. institution. All research opportunities are open to U.S. citizens; some are open to U.S. permanent residents and foreign nationals.
ABOUT THE EMPLOYER
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine’s Fellowships Office has conducted the NRC Research Associateship Programs in cooperation with sponsoring federal laboratories and other research organizations approved for participation since 1954. Through national competitions, the Fellowships Office recommends and makes NRC Research Associateship awards to outstanding postdoctoral and senior scientists and engineers for tenure as guest researchers at participating laboratories.