Assistant Development Services Manager
Supervises and supports case managers in the private land development review, approval process, and high profile projects. Coordinates City’s ongoing effort for participation in the National Flood Insurance Program’s (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS).
Examples of Essential Duties:
- Supervises the work of assigned personnel, including assigning and reviewing work, providing guidance, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Provides technical oversight and QA/QC of private development reviews and case management.
- Manages planning, development, and evaluation of operational processes, procedures, and functions of the Development Services Division.
- Facilitates cross-departmental working groups to provide coordinated planning, zoning, and development operations.
- Administers activities related to the National Flood Insurance Program, including floodplain development permitting, maintaining the Community Rating System program, and updating the floodplain ordinance.
- Reviews plats, land development applications, and plans submitted to the City to ensure compliance with the City’s zoning, subdivision, and design standards.
- Coordinates land development review with other City departments.
- Communicates with citizens, developers, consultants, and contractors to provide and gather information and coordinate activities.
- Coordinates and prepares resolutions and public outreach documents for presentation of cases to the City Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, or City Council.
- Reviews and provides development perspectives for vacations, easement and encroachment requests.
- Prepares and monitors documentation and authorized building permits and Certificate of Occupancy
- Develops and recommends policies and ordinance creation or modification to respond to land development issues.
- Prepares materials for City Council, and other Boards and Commissions as appropriate.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering or a related field and
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in Land development design, project/case management, employee supervision, and NFIP/CRS coordination or
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer in the State of Iowa or if issued by another state, the ability to obtain within 6 months
- Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) certification
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Applicable federal, state, and local codes and engineering best practices for land development
- NFIP CRS program and ongoing updates
- Federal, state, and local floodplain management rules and regulations
- Planning and land development principles and practices including planning, transportation, zoning, redevelopment and related ordinances, rules, and regulations
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Assigning, prioritizing, monitoring, and reviewing work assignments
- Communicating effectively with internal and external stakeholders using both technical and non-technical language
- Organization and time management
- Customer service
- Work cooperatively and develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Coordinate developer needs with other departments
- Lead meetings with prospective developers and present to a wide variety of audiences
- Review engineering studies for floodplain development reviews and permit approvals
- Prepare accurate and reliable reports containing planning and development findings and documentation, development conditions, civil engineering terminology, ordinances, resolutions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations