The Surveyor Manager performs boundary, topographic, and construction surveys, utility tracing and locations related to land acquisitions, boundary retracement, and capital improvement projects. Additionally, the Manager assists the legal department and strategic initiatives regarding property acquisitions.
- Regular and predictable attendance is expected and required. All Cleveland Metroparks employees must be prepared to work flexible schedules, including evenings, weekends, and/or holidays as required.
- Conducts boundary surveys: Researches state, county, and local records, Tax Maps, survey databases, and internal records; conducts field reconnaissance and surveys existing road and property monumentation, and evidence of occupation; analyzes field survey data gathered and performs calculations to determine property boundaries; sets monumentation at property corners and/or along property lines; prepares plat of survey and legal description in accordance with local and state laws when needed.
- Creates and reviews legal descriptions: Reviews legal descriptions and calculates for closure and acreage, researches additional records as needed; reviews title commitments and creates CAD drawing showing easements, researches additional records as needed; creates legal descriptions and/or survey plats or exhibits for property acquisitions, easements, and environmental covenants.
- Performs topographic surveys: Establishes horizontal and vertical control to perform the topographic survey; gathers horizontal and vertical data of the existing conditions at survey site, including manhole and catch basin inverts and pipe sizes, and traces underground utilities and obtain locations as needed; prepares CAD drawing of survey showing existing conditions, with contours generated from digital terrain model.
- Conducts construction surveys: Sets up, calculates and creates points from CAD or hard copy drawings for site construction layout; establishes horizontal and vertical control to use for construction layout; marks out points on the ground using appropriate materials, provides cut and fill grades; makes adjustments in the field as warranted by site conditions, as requested or needed.
- Traces utilities: Traces underground utilities as requested by Park Manager, Site Construction Manager or other park staff members; locates traced underground utilities to add to existing maps.
- Keeps direct supervisor promptly informed of key/significant issues or concerns.
- Carries out duties and responsibilities in a safe and efficient manner to maintain a safe work environment and surrounding area for oneself, co-workers and public. Responds to hazardous situations and/or potentially unsafe conditions by taking corrective action as capable and promptly notifying supervisory personnel.
- Updates and enhances own knowledge by involvement in continuing education for professional growth (i.e., attends relevant conferences, seminars, in-service trainings, and certification programs)
- Performs related duties as assigned or apparent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in land surveying/geomatics or a related field required; supplemented by five years of experience in public records research, legal description writing, CAD drafting of boundary and topographic surveys to include lead or supervisory experience as Crew Chief on boundary, topographic and construction surveys; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license under the laws of the State of Ohio. Must possess and maintain a valid Professional Surveyor license for the state of Ohio.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, including employees and the general public.
- Ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and persuasively using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation with ability to communicate one-on-one or in group settings.
- Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy and organization.
- Management skills and strong business acumen, including problem solving, vision, ability to manage multiple programs and meet deadlines, collaboration, leadership, decision making and ability to analyze diverse facts and develop clear and concise reports and recommendations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others
- Proficiency in software programs including all Microsoft Office programs.
- Mature professional attitude and considerable discretion, including ability to manage confidential information.
- Ability to perform with considerable independence and initiative.