Water Resources Engineer
Headwaters Corporation is a natural resources management consulting firm seeking an entry-level water resources engineer to join our Lakewood, CO water resources team. Headwaters Corporation, headquartered in Kearney, NE, includes a diverse, multidisciplinary team that includes biologists, statistical ecologists, geomorphologists, water resources engineers, biosystems engineers, economists, and science policy and governance experts. Candidates must have the drive to tackle complex, multidisciplinary problems and the desire to work for a small firm.
Under supervision, this position will be assisting with all aspects of water resources-related projects for Headwaters while gaining professional proficiency. Projects include water planning and flow analysis, groundwater monitoring & analysis, wetland and riverine habitat design and construction, construction administration, and research for the Platte River Recovery Implementation Program. There will also be opportunities to assist Headwaters with identifying, securing, and completing future projects related to large-scale restoration and adaptive management programs, river & wetland restoration, and water planning.
Major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Data collection, management, analysis, and evaluation.
- Interpretation and synthesis of topographic, hydrologic, spatial, and environmental data.
- Application of engineering & fluid mechanics principles in wetland & riverine construction design.
- Field observations of construction projects & active water management projects.
- Use of AutoCAD Civil3D, GIS, MS Office, etc to develop design drawings, maps, and report figures.
- Development and interpretation of hydraulic models.
- Develop familiarity with FEMA floodplain permitting.
- Preparing technical reports and scientific manuscripts in conjunction with senior staff.
- Assist on proposals and scopes of work for existing and future projects.
- Ensure that Headwaters Corporation’s administrative and financial policies and procedures as well as the methods and procedures specific to the work are followed.
Highly Desirable Characteristics:
- Experience with AutoCAD Civil3D, ArcGIS, HEC-RAS and other hydraulic modeling packages.
- Broad-based background in watershed processes (surface and groundwater, sediment), water resources engineering, river hydraulics/geomorphology, and ecological/biological sciences.
- Knowledge of regulatory and permitting frameworks, statistical analysis techniques, technical writing and data analysis.
- Experience that includes establishing goals and objectives and developing and managing a budget to achieve program goals and objectives.
- Familiarity with one- and two-dimensional hydraulic modeling.
- Mature judgment, initiative, imagination, resourcefulness, energy, tact, and integrity.
This position is located with the Headwaters engineering staff in the Lakewood, CO office. Headwaters’ science, land, and administrative staff are located in Kearney, NE. Periodic in-state and out-of-state travel for fieldwork, meetings, and conferences (3 - 5 days a month) will also be required.
B.S. required (M.S. preferred) in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or related technical field. Professional registration (EI/EIT), or ability to obtain within 6 months, is desired.
Experience preferred, but not required for Master’s graduates. Prefer 1-3 years experience in water resources engineering-related field for Bachelor’s graduates.
Headwaters Corporation will offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications relevant to this position. Starting range of $55,000-$70,000/year.
Headwaters offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, and life insurance; a 401(K) plan; and paid vacation time and holidays. Headwaters Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application materials should be addressed to:
Bridget Barron, PhD
President and CEO
4111 4th Avenue, Suite 6
Kearney, NE 68845
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references in PDF format to Bridget Barron at: email@example.com