Engineering Designer I (Pipeline Infrastructure)
Engineering Designer I is the entry level classification in the Engineering Designer series. This position will perform the more routine tasks and duties, including designing less complex systems. This is a training position and individuals can advance to Engineering Designer II (Pipeline Infrastructure) after gaining experience and achieving proficiency which meets the requirements for the Engineering Designer II (Pipeline Infrastructure) classification.
Engineering Designer I’s in the Pipeline Infrastructure Division work closely with project managers, Senior Engineering Designers (Pipeline Infrastructure), project engineers, surveyors, facility and pipeline drafters, pipeline construction field staff, and other technical and administrative personnel. Major responsibilities require the use of initiative, independent judgment, critical thinking and interactions with a variety of personnel throughout the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD). The immediate vacancy is in the Pipeline Drafting Section, part of the Pipeline Infrastructure Division.
Typical responsibilities may include:
• Designing proposed pipeline projects using Microstation CADD software and designing large services (fire, industrial or domestic), hydrants, and their related facilities.
• Preparing drawings and designs using EBMUD standards, specifications, drawings, practices, and CADD computer systems for pipeline designs.
• Providing drafting services to support the design of pipelines, including preparing base drawings, design details, and pipeline plans and profiles.
• Analyzing street and topographic maps, improvement plans, as-built drawings, system maps, and survey data.
The salary range is $7,588 per month increasing to $7,967, $8,365, $8,783, and $9,222 after 6, 18, 30 and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. Completion of the twelfth grade or its equivalent; AND
2. Experience in designing, drafting, mapping, and/or field recording of pipeline installations; OR one year as a crew worker installing or maintaining underground pipelines; OR experience as a member of a survey crew operating surveying instruments or in water system inspection.
3. A valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record are required.
4. Must possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job, including sufficient agility to climb hills and traverse rough terrain. Must be able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Must be willing to work overtime as needed.
Experience with Microstation and/or other CADD software is highly desirable. Experience with civil design software packages, such as AutoCAD Civil 3D, is also desirable.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, July 16, 2021. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability