WHY WORK FOR RC ENGINEERING?
From its earliest days, the City of Rancho Cucamonga was dubbed the “City with a Plan” and over the past forty years, we have been creating a World Class Community. So, what does this have to do with engineering? Everything! Engineering is more than simply building and maintaining roads, it’s about providing the built environment that is the context for the people and the places of our lives. As we move into our fifth decade as a City, we are continuing to build a World Class Community for our children and grandchildren to enjoy. One that takes the best parts of our past and continues growing and reimagining itself for the future. We are excited to have the opportunity to play a big part in what is coming next for our community, especially as we work to update our General Plan and daily work to implement the community’s vision. Whether it is through collaborative long-range planning, high quality design and construction of the built environment, by ensuring that our environment stays clean and sustainable, or by providing reliable and innovative utility services to residents and businesses.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You might be perfect for this position if:
This position might be perfect for you if you are a well-rounded, and team oriented individual that is passionate about making a distinct contribution to the Rancho Cucamonga community. The Assistant Engineer position requires an understanding of basic civil engineering principles and practices for successful performance. The City of Rancho Cucamonga is looking for an individual that enjoys problem solving daily, can evaluate and manage diverse projects, and can communicate clearly with consultants, contractors and the public. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, can juggle multiple projects and tasks, and have excellent customer service skills. They will also enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with a forward-thinking team that is committed to your success.
As part of the Engineering Services team, you’ll have the opportunity to be a part of rewarding projects that make a visible impact in our community. Some of the exciting projects currently underway at the City of Rancho Cucamonga include:
- Etiwanda Grade Separation – A grade separation between existing SBCTA tracks and Etiwanda Avenue.
- 6th Street Cycle Track – Through a partnership grant with SBCTA and other Cities in the County, Rancho Cucamonga secured funding to complete bike infrastructure improvements, including the first segment of a buffered bike lane, along 6th Street between Haven Avenue and Rochester Avenue.
- Advanced Traffic Management System – Aiding the flow of traffic during peak hours along main throughfares.
- Large Scale Private Development Projects including the Resort Development, Etiwanda Heights, and Multiple Large-Scale Industrial Projects in the Southeast Quadrant of the City.
You'll be responsible for:
Under the supervision of an Associate or Senior Civil Engineer, this position performs a variety of field and office duties in support of mainly the Capital Improvement division of the Engineering Services Department, but may also be tasked with assisting the Traffic and Transportation and Land Development Sections.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Collection, verification, and processing of data
- Preparation of engineering studies, engineering plans and specifications
- Reviewing, evaluating, and making recommendations on requests from the public
- Drafting, design, and inspection of public improvements
- The review and management of consultant contracts
- Providing high quality customer service through regular interaction with contractors, consultants, and members of the public
All applicants are required to apply online at www.cityofrc.us. Closing date is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, August 3, 2021 or until a sufficient number of applications have been received.
For more information on this position, please visit our job posting at www.cityofrc.us/rcjobs.
Education and/or Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field and two years of progressively responsible professional experience in Civil Engineering or any combination of training and experience that provides the desired knowledge and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of engineering principles and practices as applied to public works; related federal and state laws, ordinances and regulations; methods and techniques utilized in the preparation of public works projects, designs, and related plans, specifications and cost estimates; principles and methods utilized in surveying and material testing. Ability to perform professional engineering work, including project design; conduct inspections and evaluate construction relative to approved plans and specifications; coordinate the work of others involved in related activities; prepare and maintain records and prepare reports; interpret and apply related laws, ordinances and regulations; use a personal computer and software related to specific assignments; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
Possession of or ability to obtain an appropriate California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.