Onshore Civil Engineer
Reporting to the Civil and Geotechnical Engineering Manager, this role is an opportunity to join bp’s new, centralized, global team of civil engineers and work initially on our new offshore wind projects and operations. The focus of the role is the design, construction and integrity management of onshore and nearshore civil engineering infrastructure in support of bp’s low carbon energy projects and operations.
Whilst this is an opportunity to work on a range of global tasks, the role will be initially located in one of our offices in Sunbury or Houston. Subsequent project roles tend to be secondments into the offices of the primary project contractor.
Provide specialist structural engineering expertise to projects or operations, including maintenance, inspection and turnaround.
Proactive interaction with other disciplines, teams, subfunctions and contractors to systematically resolve problems and apply advanced engineering judgement.
Assist in setting and implementing engineering technical practices, and drive integrated, pragmatic solutions focused on risk management, operating efficiency, defect elimination and standardisation.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Providing onshore and nearshore civil engineering subject matter expertise to low carbon projects and operations, in order to support bp in achieving its net zero ambition.
- Supervising the planning and design of onshore and nearshore civil engineering infrastructure in support of offshore wind projects, including port facilities, dry docks, casting yards, cable landfalls, shore protection works, reclamation and earthworks, foundations, pavements, utilities, substations, control buildings, and other related infrastructure.
- Supporting conceptual development studies and site selection activities.
- Adhering to bp’s code of conduct, ethics and compliance rules, and values & behaviours.
- Ensuring safe and cost-efficient design and integrity management throughout asset life.
- Ensuring design and operations are in accordance with bp and industry technical practices and standards.
- Quantifying and communicating risks to relevant stakeholders to ensure they are understood, controlled and continuously reduced across the business.
- Maintaining relationships with third party suppliers, contractors, and other stakeholders such as utility companies.
- Representation of bp in relevant industry working groups and committees.
- Actively contributing to the civil engineering community of practice to share knowledge and learnings.
- Participating in mentoring and coaching by actively sharing expertise and experience with team members.
- Degree in civil engineering.
- Appropriate professional accreditation (e.g. Chartered civil engineer, P.E. status, or chartered status in closely aligned discipline).
- Significant, proven experience in the design, construction, and integrity management of civil engineering infrastructure for the offshore wind and/or other renewables industries.
- Deep civil engineering subject matter expertise, including:
- conceptual and detailed design of onshore and nearshore civil engineering infrastructure such as port facilities, foundations and earthworks, pavements, cable landfalls, reclamation, shore protection works, and buildings.
- construction, inspection, and integrity management of onshore and nearshore civil engineering infrastructure.
- excellent knowledge of industry codes and standards.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in a clear and succinct manner.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams with minimal technical supervision.
- Ability to use strong technical skills to think strategically and provide powerful insights.
- Experience in the oil & gas industry.
- Current working knowledge of the UK CDM Regulations, both for onshore works and nearshore wind turbine developments.
- Experience in risk assessment, performance management, management of change, process safety, and inspection, maintenance & repair strategies.